Patria
Manila

South Korea

Best places to visit outside Seoul?

How many hours will it take to visit Gwang-ju? Do you have any other locations outside Seoul I should visit? I heard they're better if you wish to nurture your knowledge about the history of the country (less polluted too so that's a bonus). Also, they have awesome cafes! :) What do you suggest?

Melanie from Denver

It took us about 4h to get to Gwangju. If you're heading that way, visit Daehan Dawon Tourist Tea Plantation (Boseong Green Tea Plantation) . It's really cool and often overlooked as a thing to do when visiting Seoul its an hour away from Gwangju and worth the trip! 

1. Gwangju (city)
  2. Daehan Dawon Tourist Tea Plantation (Boseong Green Tea Plantation) (attraction)
  3. Seoul (city)

Sarah from Milwaukee

I lived in Gwangju Airport (sorry for the airport tag, Gwangju wasn't showing up right) for 6 months - it's a great city and the food in Jeollanam-do can't be beat. But I'd still suggest Jeonjuover Gwangju to visit. It's a bit smaller but is the birthplace of bibimbap, has a beautiful restored Hanok (traditional homes) village, and has a lot of great things to do. Food is some of the very best in all of Korea. In Jeonju, I'd suggest going to a traditional tea house, flavored makkoli, and of course, bibimbap. The Hanok village has a great visitors center where they'll talk you through all the things you need to see in the area  & direct you to the best of the best. 

Gwangju is about 3.5 hours by bus outside of Seoul. Longer during high traffic times. Train is a little bit faster but more money. In the SW part of Korea, everyone takes buses over trains. 

Other great locations in Jeolla-do

Mokpo for seafood lovers and ferries to the nearby beautiful islands, ready to explore

여수시 (Yeosu) - beautiful town perched on the sea. 

Wolchulsan National Park - lovely hiking that isn't as crowded as many other places. Also 10 minutes from where I used to teach. Real, real countryside of Korea. 

1. Gwangju Airport (attraction)
  2. Jeonju (city)
  3. Mokpo (city)
  4. 여수시 (attraction)
  5. Wolchulsan (attraction)