Fiona
Edinburgh

South America, Cuba, Thailand, Bangkok, Sri Lanka

Where to go for a 3 week Honeymoon in mid October. We've got 4 ideas...

Hello there

I’m hoping all of you intrepid travellers can help myself and my fiancé.

We’re trying to plan a 3 week honeymoon for mid October 2015, however we’re not entirely sure where to go…

We love the idea of visiting a couple of countries in South America, however, neither of us particularly want to spend the lion’s share of our honeymoon travelling from one place to another.  We like to be able to do it on a budget, but also allow for a fair few nights of luxury too!

We both love history, architecture, culture, food, wine (well, alcohol in general) and letting our hair down!! We love being able to meet locals and travellers alike and sit and have a good blether with them – finding out about other places to go see an visit!

We also discussed Cuba; 3 or 4 days in Havana then on to an AI beach reason.  If I’m being honest, I don’t think this appeals to us as much.  Yes, we really want to get to see Havana before it completely changes, but the thought of doing nothing for 10 days surrounded by people that are just there for the AI food and drinks depresses us slightly (no offence meant to anyone that does, and enjoys that! It’s just not our bag)  Has anyone travelled down through Cuba?  Also, I’m a bit concerned that we seem to be getting married in the middle of the hurricane season!

Our last (2) options that we’ve looked at are Sri Lanka or Bangkok & Thailand – but again, am I right that this is rainy season?

We both live in Edinburgh, Scotland so want to travel further afield than Europe!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Fiona 

Julia from Brooklyn

Hi Fiona -- I am also planning a honeymoon! South America is not on our list because we lived there, but we are considering Sri Lanka and Thailand, so we should compare notes!

If you do want an amazing combination of city/rainforest/beach/adventure/luxury all in one country, I highly recommend Panama. It's got a little bit of everything. Boquete has really incredible flora and fauna, and the sunrise hike up the volcano is one of the more memorable travel experiences I've ever had (it stayed with me in the form of super sore quads for about 4 days afterwards!). I believe there is also white water rafting nearby. Bocas del Toro has a very laid back beach vibe, though I think there are some more luxury resorts there now that capitalize on the turquoise water paradise of that area. Panama City (Panama) is also pretty interesting -- the canal really changed the course of history. 

I am biased towards Argentina because I lived there, but it's one of my favorite places on earth. You could do a really amazing holiday there starting in Buenos Aires, going to Mendoza, and then heading to one of Uruguay's beaches (Punta del Este if you like fancy, Punta del Diablo if you prefer more of a hippy vibe). If you want to travel slow you could rent a car and drive from Buenos Aires to Cordoba (Argentina) for some hiking (1-3 days), then continue to Mendoza and visit the bodegas (wineries) for 3-5 days before flying back to either BA, or up to Salta/San Salvador de Jujuy/San Miguel de Tucuman, or even to Iguazú to see the waterfalls. (You can get from place to place by air, overnight bus, or driving). 

Congratulations, and let me know if you have questions about Argentina!

1. Panama (attraction)
  2. Boquete (city)
  3. Bocas del Toro (attraction)
  4. Panama City (Panama) (city)
  5. Buenos Aires (city)
  6. Mendoza (attraction)
  7. Uruguay (attraction)
  8. Punta del Este (city)
  9. Punta del Diablo (attraction)
  10. Cordoba (Argentina) (city)
  11. Salta (attraction)
  12. San Salvador de Jujuy (city)
  13. San Miguel de Tucuman (city)
  14. Iguazú (attraction)

Emily from Chicago

Totally agree with Fiona re: Argentina! I would do a chunk of time in the greatest city in the wold, Buenos Aires, and then either head to Iguazu Waterfalls (incredible waterfalls), the mountains of San Carlos de BarilocheMendoza (wine country) Ushuaia (end of the world), El Calafate (glaciers) or over to Uruguay to Colonia (Uguguay) (cobblestone waterfront town with Spanish architecture) and Punta del Este (upscale beach town).

1. Argentina (attraction)
  2. Buenos Aires (city)
  3. Iguazu Waterfalls (attraction)
  4. San Carlos de Bariloche (city)
  5. Mendoza (attraction)
  6. Ushuaia (city)
  7. El Calafate (city)
  8. Colonia (Uguguay) (attraction)
  9. Punta del Este (city)