Visage
Christchurch

Visage from Christchurch asked

What best to see in South America in a month starting from Santiago, Chile?

I and my wife have a whole month of December 2016 to travel in South America. We arrive in Santiago, Chile in the beginning of Dec 2016 (No flight tickets booked yet so can do +/- some days for arrival) and need to be back in Santiago by Jan 3rd. We need help with planning an itinerary which possibly includes Peru, Bolivia, Chile and if there is still time also include Colombia and Ecuador.

We can afford flights between cities if necessary and also do not need super fancy accommodation. Basic, clean, silent and safe accommodation would be ideal. We love culture and nature and always consider being able to absorb from the native people as the best takeaway from travel.

Any help and tips will be appreciated and may be meet too if you are in the same place we are as we travel.

South America   Chile   Bolivia   Ecuador   Colombia   Peru

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

It looks like you have a lot of flexibility in where you go! One thing I would like to suggest is NOT trying to do all five countries you mentioned in a one month trip. I just think it won't be that enjoyable to push yourself that much, and that you will be really busy just trying to see the three countries of ChileBolivia, and Peru. That's not to say it's impossible, it's just not my personal recommendation.

There are many, many ways you could do this trip. I will offer a sample itinerary just to help give you some ideas.

That would leave you with between 2-3 days on average in each place I mentioned to do all of this in a month. For me personally that would be a little too rushed as I favor spending more time in each place I go, but this is completely a matter of preference. 

Happy travels,

Crystal, Traveler's Toast

1. Chile (attraction)
  2. Bolivia (country)
  3. Santiago (city)
  4. Valparaiso (city)
  5. Pisco Elqui (attraction)
  6. San Pedro De Atacama (city)
  7. Nevado Tres Cruces National Park (attraction)
  8. Salar de Uyuni, Uyuni, Potosí, Bolivia (city)
  9. Potosi (Bolivia) (attraction)
  10. Santa Cruz (Bolivia) (city)
  11. Lake Titicaca (attraction)
  12. Cusco (city)
  13. Machu Picchu (attraction)
  14. Lima (Peru) (city)
Bernardita from Santiago

Hello,

You should really need to try to go to Torres del Paine. December-February is the best time of the year to visit that marvelous place.  
Also, you could try to accommodate your itinerary to be in Valparaiso for New Years Eve (http://www.southamerica.me/valparaiso-new-year-fireworks-celebration)

Happy travels,

Bernie.