Ivan
Belgium

South America, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay

Three weeks in May in South America

Hi there! I will be travelling with a friend to South America for about three weeks in May. If anyhow possible, we would like to combine the best of nature and urbanism. We were thinking to skip Brazil and leave it for a sole trip next year. Instead, we were considering to go to Peru and Bolivia or Argentina, Chile and Peru. However, nothing is fixed yet and we are open for all suggestions.

What would you recommend for 3-4 weeks for two young guys in May?

Roxanne from Ottawa, Ontario

Hello,

Peru is a must see! I went there a few years ago as a volunteer and it was a very memorable trip. The only downfall of my trip was being stuck in the train on our way to Machu Pichu for 7 hours with no food or water due a a severe landslide that blocked the train track. Unfourtunately the train had to turn around and head back the the station and we did not get to see Machu Pichu but we made it out safely and everything else was simply wonderful. Also, If you love nature, the jungle and ancient mayan culture then my suggestion is Guatemala. It's totally underated and not as popular as other places, but it's just as breath taking. We visited the city of Antigua, great for sight seeing, hiking up a volcano and simply enjoying the culture and food. Then we went to Lago de Atitlanone of my favourite parts of the trip. Take a water taxi around the lake to visit multiple villages. One of the most hip spots there would be PanajachelYou can find a lot of artisans selling hand made goods. After that we headed to a hidden gem in the vast jungle of Lanquincalled Semuc Champey where we got to swim in a fresh water laguna, cave dive, and jump off a high swing tied to a tree. There we stayed at Utopia Eco Hotel witch is more like a very comfortable and cozy tree house then a hotel. We ended our last few days in Tikal to visit the ancient mayan ruins. We stayed at the Hotel Jaguar Inn Tikal witch is a protected reserve where you get to see all kind of species of animals such as howler monkeys, spider monkeys, Agoutis, Coatis and more!  and finaly we made our way to Belize for some ocean and beach relaxation, a perfect way to end our trip. Hope this was inspiring, I know Guatemala might be out of your way but if you dont have time to go on this trip, it worth going one day.

Cheers and happy travels!

Roxanne :)

1. Antigua (attraction)
  2. Lago de Atitlan (attraction)
  3. Panajachel (attraction)
  4. Lanquin (attraction)
  5. Semuc Champey (attraction)
  6. Utopia Eco Hotel (hotel)
  7. Tikal (attraction)
  8. Hotel Jaguar Inn Tikal (hotel)
  9. Belize (country)

Lindsay from London

Whatever you do, don't miss Machu Picchu. I promise it will be one of the most amazing things you ever see. Hatun Samay is a good, if basic, place to stay there.

1. Machu Picchu (attraction)
  2. Hatun Samay (hotel)