Marie

South America, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador

How to establish a general budget for traveling South America?

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are preparing to travel South America for 5 months from May to September 2016.
Since it's the first time we are preparing for a long travel we are a bit guessing.

I was wondering how can we establish a general budget by country. Like 80USD per day in Brazil for example?
We can get down transport prices and average prices for accommodations. But the general budget is a hard one.

We are two students so we are not looking in some fancy hotels but we would like to be able to do activities like scuba diving, skiing...

Do you guys have any idea how to start a budget?
Have you traveled to these countries and how much did it cost you?
Thanks for the feedback.
Marie

Polly from Washington, DC

You're smart to do it by country - in South America, the cost of traveling varies widely, with Brazil being on the expensive end and Bolivia and Ecuador on the cheaper end. 

I usually budget by category. Airfare, lodging, ground transportation, food and drinks, activities, visas, and general spending money. I try to get as specific as I can on the categories I can research - like airfare and lodging - and estimate on things like food. Figuring out the pace at which you want to travel helps as well - staying in each place for a week or so and taking buses instead of flying will help a lot!

I traveled around Brazil during the World Cup, so prices were a bit high, but in general, I spent an average of $40 per day on lodging, $25 on food and drinks, $16 on sightseeing and activities. In Argentina, I spent about $26 per day on lodging, $30 on food (but at better quality restaurants than in Brazil), and $15 on sightseeing and activities. I was also traveling by myself, hitting touristy spots, and jamming a lot into a short amount of time, so your average for both countries would probably be lower. Good luck!

1. Brazil (country)
  2. Bolivia (country)
  3. Ecuador (country)

Christian from Cuenca, Ecuador

hello marie if you come Ecuador your best option would be to come to Zamora-Chinchipe here can camp on the Podocarpus National Park and not expensive can do rafting swim in waterfalls and muchoi more budget for this area would be only $ 100 I hope you like the idea and come zamora

1. Zamora-Chinchipe (state)
  2. Podocarpus National Park (attraction)