Jennifer
Champaign

South America, Cartagena, Colombia, Guatemala, Costa Rica

Best place to take a Central America trip?

Hi everyone! My husband and I are trying to decide on a location for our next trip. We went to Belize on our honeymoon this year and loved it. We want to experience a little more of Central America, and have been looking at places like Cartagena, Colombia, Guatemala, and Costa Rica. Does anyone have any suggestions for these places or in this general region? We're pretty laid back and love exploring local culture. Love being active on vacation as well - snorkeled with whale sharks in Belize! Looking to go in April/May next year. Thanks for any help in advance!

Andrea from Cartagena, Colombia

Cartagena, i am from there. its a historical city . its very romantic . Also you can take a one day trip to rosario island , i recomend Hotel Majaguaat the island, for one day or a weekend, If you have any question please let me know.

1. Cartagena (city)
  2. Hotel Majagua (hotel)

Hello Jennifer! The 3 countries are beautiful and each one has its own beauty and gems. Havent been to Cartagena but Bogota and Medellínare both amazing cities. Bogota is a very cosmopolitan city and offers a lot of amusing options, the gastronomy is very wide and exquisite. Places to visit besides T Zone or Calle 85 are numerous: Usaquen, La Calera which owns a very particular restaurant that offers delicious and local food Piqueteadero El Tabor. A few Gems of the city are Zipaquira Cathedral, Monserrate, La Candelaria. A must-see place to visit is Andres Carne de Res, located outside central Bogota, it is not a typical restaurant but an art experience! Medellín is also a beautiful city. If you love nature you must visit La Piedra Del Peñol and the Guatapé municipality. La Piedra del Penol is a huge monolithic formation located at the town of Guatepe and the views from the top are incredible.

Guatemala City is a bit dangerous but a fascinating city. Dowtown Zona 1has been renewed  and is leading the way with the pedestrianized 6th street attracting bars, and restaurants. However, I would rather prefer to visit Antigua Guatemala, full of monuments, churches and monasteries, in other words, full of history. Hotel Casa Santo Domingo is a pretty nice place to stay. Antigua is a place to visit at least once in a lifetime.  Highly recommended.

Costa Rica is known for its beaches, volcanoes and immense biodiversity. If you love the sea, snorkeling, whales, dolphins, etc., the country provides a lot of alternatives such as Cóbano, Playa Santa Teresa, Malpais, Las Catalinas, Nosara, Monteverde, Volcán Arenal, Osa Peninsula and Corcovado National Park Office.

These are a few options that I am suggesting as they impressed me in a good way. The decision is yours!

Let me know if you have any further questions or doubts on a particular spot. Saludos!

1. Cartagena (city)
  2. Bogota (city)
  3. Medellín (attraction)
  4. T Zone (attraction)
  5. Calle 85 (attraction)
  6. Usaquen (attraction)
  7. La Calera (city)
  8. Piqueteadero El Tabor (restaurant)
  9. Zipaquira Cathedral (attraction)
  10. Monserrate (attraction)
  11. La Candelaria (attraction)
  12. Andres Carne de Res (attraction)
  13. La Piedra Del Peñol (attraction)
  14. Guatapé (attraction)
  15. Guatemala City (city)
  16. Antigua Guatemala (city)
  17. Hotel Casa Santo Domingo (hotel)
  18. Costa Rica (attraction)
  19. Cóbano (attraction)
  20. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
  21. Malpais (city)
  22. Las Catalinas (attraction)
  23. Nosara (attraction)
  24. Monteverde (attraction)
  25. Volcán Arenal (attraction)
  26. Osa Peninsula (region)
  27. Corcovado National Park Office (attraction)

Lola from Ireland

Hello! I have being to a few places in Costa Rica. You can definitely find interesting activities, restaurants, nightlife and friendly people here. Depending on your budget, the caribbean side seems to be the less expensive. 

I recommend Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. The town is walkable or if you enjoy riding a bike rent some. There's plenty of places to eat or have a cocktail. You will also find a few interesting boutiques and gift shops. The beaches are beautiful. You can take tours, go surfing, discover wildlife or just chill under a palm tree. Cahuita is my favorite town in the caribbean side of Costa Rica. It's a little more quiet than Puerto Viejo but has everything you need. Cahuita National Park is right by the beach...I loved walking about and listening to howler monkeys. There was a lot of interesting flowers, plants and insects. 

Tamarindo on the pacific side is a great beach town. A little bigger than Puerto Viejo and busier but not bad. I enjoyed going horseback riding on the beach here so take the time to do so if you go. There's also surfing and tours. Walking on the beach at sunset was breathtaking! 

Happy travels :)

1. Costa Rica (attraction)
  2. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
  3. Cahuita (city)
  4. Cahuita National Park (attraction)
  5. Tamarindo (city)

Corina from Philadelphia

Dominical & Utiva in Costa Rica are PHENOMENALLY BEAUTIFUL (and practically secluded) beaches in South CR that are just breathtaking and perfect for wave surfing. 

I highly recommend taking a trip to a few different regions in CR as I came back from there this summer and loved the natural eco-system alive and well there. Truly a trip back to a former time where industry didn't cut  down all forestation and people were not living in side by side high rises. 

I Stayed at Villas Alturas http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g313829-d1863759-Reviews-Villas_Alturas-Dominical_Province_of_Puntarenas.html - definitely worth it!! 

Carlos from San Jose

Hi Jennifer, 

I recommend going to Costa Rica. A great country for people looking for adventure like you.

The following lik helped me a lot Costa Rica Custom Travel. Right there you can fill a quote for a free personalized itinerary according to your interests and budget. It's worth a try, it's free. 

Other helpful links for you are Costa Rica Adventure Hotels and Costa Rica Adventure Tours wich have the best hotels and tours in Costa Rica for adventure travelers like you. 

Cheers! 

1. Costa Rica (attraction)

Costa Rica is amazing! Spent a month there and it was one of the best experiences of my life.