Klarine
Netherlands

South Africa

what place can i best start my roundtrip

budget, safari, roundtrip

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Klarine, you can do a safari from either Johannesburg or Cape Town.  I think it all depends on how long you want to go for, but I know that many of the best backpackers and guest houses in Cape Town will book overland safaris for you, that can range form 1 week to 30 days or more.  If you are on a budget, this is an amazing way to do safari.  Lots of driving, but you'll really see Africa.  

Joburg is more centrally located to safari areas in South Africa and Botswana, however, most backpackers and hostels in both cities have tour desks that can sort our any number of trips for you.  The benefit to leaving from Cape Town is that you are a little closer to Namibia, which offers an entirely different safari experience, which most people agree is amazing (but different).  

I've never booked a safari from JoBurg, but in Cape Town, I know that people have had great success with  Amber Tree Lodge and  Atlantic Point Backpackers Lodge as both places to stay and to help organize their trips.  

One of the beautiful things about budget travel in South Africa is that you can buy a Baz Bus ticket (the Baz Bus is an inexpensive backpacker shuttle that has a set route between backpackers and hostels all throughout South Africa, that allows you to hop on and hop off), then you can organize an overaland safari or shorter trips from the different destinations within South Africa.

Have fun.  This should be an amazing experience.

1. Johannesburg (city)
  2. Cape Town (city)
  3. Namibia (country)
  4. Amber Tree Lodge (hotel)
  5. Atlantic Point Backpackers Lodge (hotel)
  6. Baz Bus (attraction)

Gustavo from Rio de Janeiro

Well, I started from Port Elizabeth, I'm not sure why, but it ended up as a good choice because there were two parks (it's a day trip) with small saffaris, that I loved and then, from there, you can make the whole Garden Route passing through pleasent cities until Cape Town - which is lovely... you have to know it and spend some days there. And I think you should go to Kruger National Park, which is next to Johannesburg. The thing that I loved to do was to go to Mozambiqueafter it all because Maputo (it's the capital) is just so close to Kruger National Park that it's worth if you would like to know a different city with a completely different mood and a, surprisingly good night life on weekends. But you can start from anywhere you want, actually. If it's whale time, try to go to Hermanus, which is near Cape Town and Simon's Town, where you can watch the penguins at the beach.

Have fun and a good trip!

1. Port Elizabeth (city)
  2. Cape Town (city)
  3. Kruger National Park (amusement park)
  4. Johannesburg (city)
  5. Mozambique (country)
  6. Maputo (city)
  7. Hermanus (city)
  8. Simon's Town (attraction)

Lizette from Cape Town

Start in Cape Town

1. Cape Town (city)