Spencer

South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia

Where should I travel in Southern Africa beyond South Africa?

So I'm in South Africa next month for a couple weeks and will have a week or two to explore some other parts of Southern Africa that I've never been to. I definitely want to try to swing an Okavango Delta trip, and also see some other beautiful parts of Southern Africa and do some adventure activities I've never done. Where would you recommend? And how easy (and budget-friendly) to get from South Africa to Mozambique, Namibia, and Botswana?

Richard from Cape Town

Hi Spencer, Jan Jaap's answer is excellent. From your question it sounds like you might have been to Cape Town before. If not, you should see as many of Jan's suggestions and add these: For adventure -You can abseil down the main face of Table Mountain, take a beach horse ride in Melkbosstrand, take a Harley ride around Cape Point or fly in a Gyrocopter, Huey or tandem paraglide around Camps Bay and Cape Town.

For cool sightseeing without the usual tourist feel and with real value for money, go on a craft beer brewery tour with SuperCoolBeerTourin Woodstock or the Forgotten Route Tour to Matjiesfontein with a company called Wine Flies (if I recall correctly).

If you have seen enough of beautiful Cape Town, before you head to any other country, go to Namibia. It is literally one of the most spectacular countries in the world and an adventure mecca. You can easily travel over to Victoria Fallsfrom there. 

In Namibia you have to see the spectacular Spitzkoppe, the rock paintings at Twyfelfontein, the beautiful town of Swakopmundwhere you can go quad biking in the desert. You could spend a month in Namibia and not see every great site. Other top things to see on my list is the Welwitschia plains near Swakopmund, the Etosha National Park, and a multitude of sites and activities in Windhoek. And all of this is only in the North of Namibia. In the south you can hike, white water raft and go on horse safaris.  

Let me know if any of these grab your interest and I will elaborate.

1. Table Mountain (attraction)
  2. Melkbosstrand (city)
  3. Cape Point (attraction)
  4. Camps Bay (attraction)
  5. Cape Town (city)
  6. Woodstock (attraction)
  7. Matjiesfontein (city)
  8. Namibia (country)
  9. Victoria Falls (attraction)
  10. Spitzkoppe (attraction)
  11. Twyfelfontein (attraction)
  12. Swakopmund (city)
  13. Etosha National Park (park)
  14. Windhoek (city)

Jan Jaap from Netherlands

Two weeks only... That's a bit short! I'll focus on South Africa mostly as I have been there...

Anyway, here we go. 

So, you want to go to Okavango Delta. Since that is on top of your list, we'll do that last. 

Fly out to Cape Town. There are quite some beautiful places to stay out there. I lived in Oranjezicht for 6 months and I love that part of town (Check out B&B Villa Bianca, I loved the place and the owners!). 10 minute drive, of course you'll rent a classic bakkie or a Volkswagen Chico, which is the Volkswagen MK1 that was produced in South Africa until 2010 (rather cheap to rent). Since you'll only have two weeks in total I recommend you to visit Table Mountain National Park (check the weather forecast for your planning as you want to go up with bright sunny weather and walk up and take the lift down, there are quite some great hikes to get up to Table Mountain!), Hout BayChapman's PeakCape Point (you can do the latter three easily in one day) and perhaps catch a few waves in Muizenberg at the end of the afternoon you should climb Lion's Head. Bring a (few) bottle(s) of wine, some snacks (Biltong!) and enjoy the sunset. This especially good fun when it is full moon! 

You could visit Robben Island, although I was bit disappointed by how it is presented. The tour by former inmates was impressive though and you get a magnificent view on Table Mountain. Now, to do something adventurous and to get an even better view on the Mother City, you'll go ski diving Skydive Cape Town and after that take an introduction lesson of kite surfing in Langebaan. On your way back you'll drive through Tableview/Bloubergstrand to get some other great views on Table Mountain and the city. Let's say you are now 2 days on your way. 

So let's leave Cape Town behind us and get on the Garden Route. It is a beautiful road trip with beautiful places to visit and views to enjoy. There is quite a bunch of information on this and places to visit. I liked SwellendamKnysna (do the bungee jump there on Bloukrans Bridge). On your way you could also stop by in Hottentots-Holland Nature Reserve to do some kloofing there. Awesome experience! You'll finish in Port Elizabeth.

From here you'll take a flight to either Johannesburg or Maputo, depending on your budget and/or time, but also time of the year. At the airport you'll rent a car and get on your way to Tofo Beach. It is about a day drive and since you'll end your trip in Botswana, it is not necessary to go through Kruger National Park Reservations, if you would fly to Jo'burg (you'll see enough wild life later on :-)). Why the time of the year? You can go scuba diving with whale sharks in Tofo Beach. That is still on my bucket list. Mozambique is quite cheap and according to people I have spoken too it is quite a remarkable place to visit. Up north, along the coast. there are some other beautiful sites of which I can't recall the name anymore. However, you'll only spend a few days here. 

Now, get back to Maputo and fly out to Botswana for the most important part of your trip, the Okavango Delta on which I can't elaborate since I haven't been there, but please let me know how it was! 

Enjoy your trip (and please only use this as an idea not as a compulsory itinerary)! 

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Oranjezicht (attraction)
  3. Table Mountain National Park (amusement park)
  4. Hout Bay (attraction)
  5. Chapman's Peak (attraction)
  6. Cape Point (attraction)
  7. Muizenberg (attraction)
  8. Lion's Head (attraction)
  9. Robben Island (island)
  10. Skydive Cape Town (attraction)
  11. Langebaan (city)
  12. Swellendam (city)
  13. Knysna (city)
  14. Bloukrans Bridge (attraction)
  15. Hottentots-Holland Nature Reserve (attraction)
  16. Port Elizabeth (city)
  17. Johannesburg (city)
  18. Maputo (city)
  19. Tofo Beach (city)
  20. Kruger National Park Reservations (attraction)