Cindy

South Africa

What are the must-see places in South Africa ?

Can you give me some tips of where to go/stay If I ever road trip to South Africa for 3 weeks ? Cost of living, season of trip...

Kavitha from Kuala Lumpur

Hi Cindy! South Africa. How exciting :)

Do check out Cape Town. There's plenty to see - Table Mountain, Robben IslandCamps Bay, V&A Waterfront and many more. Driving around is very easy and the locals are very helpful if you need directions.You should also try out a few days' drive down the Garden Route from Cape Town. There are loads of places to stay along the way, so it will be a pretty easy-going drive. I wish I had the chance to do it, but I got a glimpse of the route from my bus and I wish I had more time!

Factor in some time for a visit to a wildlife park like Kruger National Park or Pilanesberg National Park.

I went during the winter months around June and July, which was good for visits to the wildlife parks. It was chilly and got much colder during the nights though. I have also read that August and September are good for beautiful flowers and pretty landscapes. It really depends on what you expect to do, as I think anytime is a good time to visit South Africa!

There are plenty of good homes or backpacker hostels that you can stay in for a more personable experience. I was lucky enough to stay in some wonderful homes and I had the best time ever.

I would not be able to give you an accurate amount of money to allocate as I was there during the World Cup in 2010. Of course at the time, everything cost more than it should have. And once again, it depends on what you would like to do and experience.

I hope this helps somewhat. And I wish you the best time in South Africa. It truly is a magnificent country.

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Table Mountain (attraction)
  3. Robben Island (island)
  4. Camps Bay (attraction)
  5. V&A Waterfront (attraction)
  6. Kruger National Park (amusement park)
  7. Pilanesberg National Park (attraction)

Emily from United Kingdom

Hi Cindy!

I would say my two favourite places in SA are Cape Town and Kruger National Park. Your cheapest option to see both of these and more in 3 weeks would be to fly into Johannesburg and either hire a car or take an organised safari to Kruger - it is a very easy self-drive safari and you will see LOTS but, if it is your first time to Africa, I suggest hiring a guide to get the most out of the experience. Other main highlights around there are God's Window and Blyde River Canyon. For week 2 you could then fly to CT and visit the numerous attractions there - Robben IslandV&A WaterfrontCape PointSimon's TownHout BayTable Mountain to name a few. Your final week (maybe a bit more!) you could take a drive up the garden route via hire car - some of my personal highlights are Plettenberg BayTsitsikamma National ParkHermanus and Nature's Valley and Addo Elephant National Park or alternatively visit the winelands heading into StellenboschFranschhoek and Paarl.

This probably hits most of the main best bits of SA but there is lots more to be discovered if you ever want to go for a bit longer! As for season, a great time to go is around August/Sept. It is warm but not too hot and as the end of the dry season, game viewing will be at its peak. Cost of living really depends on what you want to do and how. South Africa is relatively cheap for a backpacker - hostels, food, petrol, and alcohol in most places are cheap compared to Europe. Some places are on par. Tours and activities will be more of a premium though so research these well before you splash out. 

Hope this helps! 

Emily x

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Kruger National Park (amusement park)
  3. Johannesburg (city)
  4. God's Window (attraction)
  5. Blyde River Canyon (attraction)
  6. Robben Island (island)
  7. V&A Waterfront (attraction)
  8. Cape Point (attraction)
  9. Simon's Town (city)
  10. Hout Bay (attraction)
  11. Table Mountain (attraction)
  12. Plettenberg Bay (city)
  13. Tsitsikamma National Park (city)
  14. Hermanus (city)
  15. Nature's Valley (city)
  16. Addo Elephant National Park (attraction)
  17. Stellenbosch (city)
  18. Franschhoek (city)
  19. Paarl (city)