Jacqueline
Philadelphia

South Africa

Tips for a first time visit to South Africa?

I'm visiting South Africa solo for the first time (Cape Town and Johannesburg) and was wondering if anyone has tips for a first time visitor? Safety, can't miss places, places to avoid? Anything is appreciated, thank you! 

Ira from Johannesburg, Gauteng

Hey Jacqueline Johannesburg can be a dangerous city. Stick to places with lots of people. dont walk around the streets at night and use private taxi services preferably from hotels. Cape Town is great, most of the main city is pretty safe these days. stay out of places with poverty. Hotels, malls and beaches are second to none. ENJOY and Welcome

1. Johannesburg (city)
  2. Cape Town (city)

Sam from London

For Cape Town the first thing I would do would be to see Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held. It’s an amazing part of South African history. If you’re interested in South African history I would also try to see the District Six Museum which is dedicated to the “District Six” area’s change from a diverse city to a basically all-white neighborhood.

I would also take the cable cars up to the top of Table Mountain which will give you the most amazing views of the city. You can climb it, but it takes a while.

I also love Boulders Beach which has some really amazing wildlife—sometimes there are more penguins than people. It’s a true highlight of the area in my opinion. 

In Johannesburg, I would definitely check out the Johannesburg Art Gallery which has an amazing collection.

I’d also make sure to check out the Lion Parkwhich is exactly what it sounds like—you can get really, really close to them which is amazing. 

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Robben Island (island)
  3. District Six Museum (attraction)
  4. Table Mountain (attraction)
  5. Boulders Beach (attraction)
  6. Johannesburg (city)
  7. Johannesburg Art Gallery (attraction)
  8. Lion Park (attraction)

Mobile