Tom
San Diego

South Africa

First trip to South Africa and I want to see it all! Where do you recommend

Just booked a trip to South Africa. Flying into Cape Town but from there, my trip is completely up in the air.

I'm open to all suggestions on places I should see/ towns to visit. I'll be there for three weeks and don't want to miss out on the beauty of South Africa. Thanks!

Polly from Washington, DC

You're going to have an amazing time! I spent three weeks in South Africa, years ago, and would love to go back some day.

In Cape Town, you've got to visit Table Mountain National Park and Robben Island Museum. Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens is pretty cool as well. Visit Boulders Beach to see African penguins. Also, set aside a day to visit Cape Point.

Heading east, you can drive along the Garden Route. It's a great region for wine and scenic views. Bloukrans Bridge Bungy Jump is the highest commercial jump in the world, if you're into that. Tsitsikamma National Park is a gorgeous area to hike around. As you get closer to Port Elizabeth, there are a few smaller game parks in the area. Grahamstown is a neat university town, though we were there during the annual arts festival, which made it more exciting than it might otherwise be.

Durban is supposed to be great, but we missed it. Instead, we headed north toward Johannesburg, stopping for the night in Golden Gate Highlands National Park. This area has amazing, golden rock formations and plateaus.

Kruger National Park is one of the most famous game reserves in the world, with good reason. You can easily spend a few days here. Another thing to see nearby, that's I can't believe isn't more well-known outside Africa, is Blyde River Canyon.  Things like the Three Rondavels, Bourke's Luck Potholes, and God's Window are incredibly unique and beautiful.

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Table Mountain National Park (amusement park)
  3. Robben Island Museum (attraction)
  4. Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (attraction)
  5. Boulders Beach (attraction)
  6. Cape Point (attraction)
  7. Bloukrans Bridge Bungy Jump (attraction)
  8. Tsitsikamma National Park (city)
  9. Grahamstown (city)
  10. Durban (attraction)
  11. Golden Gate Highlands National Park (attraction)
  12. Kruger National Park (amusement park)
  13. Blyde River Canyon (attraction)
  14. Three Rondavels (attraction)
  15. Bourke's Luck Potholes (attraction)
  16. God's Window (attraction)

Alexander from Rolling Hills, California

Make sure you do shark diving in Hunts Bay.  About 2 hours away from Cape Town.  It was the highlight of my trip.  Also do the coastal drive down to Cape of Good Hope from Cape Town.  

1. Cape of Good Hope (attraction)
  2. Cape Town (city)

Joe from Houston

Spend a few days a 1-hour drive away in the Winelands.

And safaris are not far away.