Lise
Huntsville

Lise from Huntsville asked

2 weeks in South Africa and 1 week in the Seychelles

Hello fellow travelers, know this question was asked a while back but never pursued the trip.
I'm hoping to go to Cape Town for 2 weeks then fly to the Seychelles for a week there. This is a trip to celebrate my 70th birthday in 2 years. I usually start planning my trip a year in advance so am hoping to get some feedback to help me.
I met someone in Mexico from Cape Town and she suggested I use a travel agent from there she knows. Don't know if that is a good idea or to get one in my hometown. I am very active for my age (66) so want to see as much as possible in Cape Town. The hotels don't have to be 5 star but do want to stay in a safe place close to transportation. Know little about the Seychelles but since its a 6 hr. flight from there want to stay at least a week. Just know it's a beautiful island. I am hoping someone out there has been to these islands and of course can give me feedback to Cape Town. Also want to know the best time of the year to go there. Thanks in advance.

South Africa   Cape Town (South Africa)   Seychelles

Joaquin
Seychelles is not an island, but many. A little bit over 100 islands, but the main three are: MahePraslin and La Digue.You need to stay at Mahe or Praslin, but spending one day visiting La Digue is worth. La Digue has one of the top beaches of the planet, called Anse Source d'Argent (Silver Fountain Beach).
I personally prefer Praslin, with the beach Anse Lazio as one of the most beautiful of the island, because it also has a forest that is declared human patromony from UNESCO, several other things to do and is more relaxed than Mahe.
The capital, Victoria (Seychelles), is located in Mahe. There's a very nice area with many hotels called Beau Vallon to the north of the island. There are some atolon islands in Seychelles but the main three islands are rock solid, so although snorkling and/or diving is a must, I'd say it's not at the level of Maldives. There are not so many coral reefs as in other paradise islands and several of the beaches are quite dangerous with strong currents. The ones I have mentioned so far are safe.
The prices are usually high for hotels and flights. It's managed as an exclusive destination, but restaurants outside of the hotels have a reasonable price and so the taxis.
I spent three days in Praslin and four in Mahe when I was there.
I hope my information is not too outdated because I was there some years ago.
Indeed one of the top destinations of the world and in my view worth every penny.

Lise
Thank you so much for taking theme to answer this. I do understand the Seychelles are very expensive but I will mostly be doing snorkeling and viewing the beautiful beach. I will save all this information and add it to my notes.

1. Mahe (city)
  2. Praslin (city)
  3. La Digue (city)
  4. Anse Source d'Argent (attraction)
  5. Anse Lazio (natural feature)
  6. Victoria (Seychelles) (city)
  7. Beau Vallon (city)
Peter from London
Hi Lise, we visited Cape Town a few years ago and stayed at the Cape Cadogan a small boutique hotel, really cannot recommend it enough, lovely rooms, friendly, helpful staff. Area was very safe so we could walk everywhere in town, and also very close to some excellent restuarants (which was a priority for us!). Possible things have changed with covid but you would likely need to book restaurants ahead of time as they can get booked up, the hotel was very good in doing this before we arrived and managed to get us into some places we would not otherwise have been able to book. We were there in early March and the weather was perfect so anytime between mid Jan and early April should mean warm, sunny days. We love our wine too and made several trips out to the vineyards, Stellenbosch has some amazing places to visit even if you're not into wine there are great places to walk and have lunch. Hope this is of help and wishing you a fantastic trip and hope you enjoy your big birthday!

Lise
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I will certainly put this hotel in my notes as I will have plenty of time to do more research before going. I do hope I will be able to make it this time. Covid has kept me from traveling for 2 years.

1. Cape Cadogan (hotel)
  2. Stellenbosch (city)
Dirkie from Cape Town
Hi Lise,
Greetings from Cape Town!
Your trip idea is on the right track - two weeks in South Africa and one week Island is perfect. 
I'll recommend using a local agent here in South Africa. The more "middle men" you cut out the more you'll save and the more goes directly to the properties and suppliers in South Africa.
If you use an agent in the US, they will just call an agent here and book it for you, taking a % of course. But it's up to you and what makes you comfortable.
I can recommend TravelHouse Africa, they are based in Cape Town and have assisted many friends and contacts. They are also in tune with clients needs and won't recommend something that doesn't suit the client (this happens often when using a agent that isn't based in the destination). 
let me know is you need more information.
regards,
Dirk

Lise
Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. I had a feeling it would be better to get a travel agent there. I will certainly put Travel Hose down when I get ready to make my reservations. · (1 like)

Lise
I have already Googled this travel agent and it got all 5 stars ratings. Sounds good to me for suggesting them. Thank you again. · (1 like)

Dirkie
Pop him a mail on - he is fabulous billy@travelhouse.africa · (1 like)

Lise
I sent Dirkie an Email about a month ago and never got a reply.

Dirkie
Hey Lise, did you mail me? I didn’t get anything. Or did you mail Billy? Let me know and I’ll check for you

Lise
I sent Billy an Email back on Nov. 21 but never got a reply. Maybe I should try again. · (1 like)

Dirkie
Email me rather on dirk@21nettleton.com - I’ll connect you from there. Dirk