Amanda
Atlanta

Sorrento, Salerno, Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii

Sorrento vs. Salerno during Easter

My husband and I plan on traveling to the Amalfi Coast area during Easter, (early April) 2015, with our 8 year old daughter.  We would like to visit Paestum and Pompeii while we are there as well as the Amalfi Coast drive.  We will be renting an apartment in either town.  Would it be better to stay in Sorrento or Salerno?  Does one town have more charm over the other? We would like to be able to walk out of the apartment to the center of town for restaurants and especially cappuccino in the morning.  Will Easter weekend be a hinderance? or a benefit? Will restaurants be open on Good Friday and Easter Sunday?

Oh Amanda! One of my favorite places in the world. Definitely pick Sorrento. Less gritty and way more charming than Salerno. Make sure to take your daughter on a walk through the lemon groves and have pizza at the place across the street from the lemon groves. There are a lot of air B&B places that are nice and near the main square. Pompei is an easy train ride from Sorrento. Probably about 25 minutes. You can also walk down the low the city to the little fishing village and harbor area where there are a couple of good little restaurants. The only downside with an 8 year old, is getting from naples to sorrento on the train. After some quick research on the internet, I was terrified to take the circumstances beyond not as a solo traveler.down the low the city to the little fishing village and harbor area where there are a couple of good little restaurants. The only downside with an 8 year old, is getting from Naples to Sorrento on the train. After some quick research on the internet, I was terrified to take the circumvesuviana as a solo traveler. It was absolutely fine. Just pack light and tell your husband not to keep his wallet in his front pocket. While on the train, I saw one man have his cell phone taken when he was hopping on the train and another lost his wallet getting off the train. The simple solution is a money belt and just make sure everything is packed away before you hop on the train. It's very crowded but very charming. My advice would be to pack light and not have your 8 year old carrying anything of importance. Taking the train to Paestum and Pompei will be a breeze as you don't have luggage to contend with. Finally, I would avoid the big bus tours to the Amalfi Coast. Rick Steves had a deal set up if you have his book where you can call mondo tours and if six people sign up it was 25 euro to have 6 or 7 people in a nice mini van. They take you to Amalfi town, Positano and Ravello. Don't miss Ravello! We were so impressed with that deal that we also booked through the same company a guide at Pompeii and a walking tour of Naples via Rick Steves for and incredible price. I felt so safe in Naples that I went back by myself the next day to the Natural History Museum and walked around. finally, you may want to look at Ischia and not Capri as you can reach both from Sorrento by ferry. Ischia is way less twisty and has a water park that your 8 year old would love

1. Sorrento (city)
  2. Salerno (city)
  3. Pompei (attraction)
  4. Naples (city)
  5. Paestum (attraction)
  6. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  7. Positano (city)
  8. Ravello (city)
  9. Ischia (city)
  10. Capri (city)

Kirsten from Chicago

We have not traveled to Salerno, but love Sorrento. We went with our 3 children right before Easter. Sorrento is on the train line to Pompei, so you don't need to drive if you don't want. Things will be closed Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Good Friday most things seemed open. We stayed in the town center in Sorrento and loved the proximity to shopping and restaurants. We could also catch the ferry to Capri, Italy from there. I have a blog post if you want to check it out.

1. Sorrento (city)
  2. Pompei (attraction)
  3. Capri, Italy (attraction)