Daniel
Austin (Texas)

Daniel from Austin (Texas) asked

Sonoma Area Recommendations - Wineries / Running Trails

I am making a trip to beautiful Sonoma in late May. This is my third trip and I getting more and more familiar with the area, but I am sure I am missing numerous great spots. I am staying in the town of Sonoma and will have a car. Basically, I am hoping for two types of recommendations: 1) the best running trails in the area; and 2) smaller, boutique wineries worth visiting. Thanks!  

Sonoma County

Hoyt from New York City

Hi Daniel. Sonoma has fantastic boutique wineries and the Russian River side even more so. I suggest: B.R. Cohn Winery, St. Francis Winery & Vineyards, and Chateau St Jean Winery in Sonoma, Matanzas Creek Winery on the way to, and then Arista Winery, Ridge Vineyards - Lytton Springs, Martinelli Vineyards & Winery and J Rochioli Vineyards & Winery in Russian River. Good call going her instead of Napa. Have fun.

Dee from California

Not being a runner, I can't help you with that question, but can make wine country recommendations.  You mentioned boutique wineries, but didn't mention quality or what kind of wines you like or where you've been already.  If you haven't been over the mountains to Healdsburg that's a must, imho.   There is the town itself with tasting rooms which you shouldn't turn your taste buds up at. Try Williamson Wines, right off the Square in Healdsburg (no matter what the map thinks).  If you make an appt. ahead you can have a private tasting/pairing. Some smaller, wonderful wineries are in the Anderson Valley, eg., Anderson Valley Winery, and everyone there is very personable and should welcome you with open arms.  Again, make an appointment for special treatment (but I'll bet you know that already).  Some of the flashier wineries, like Ledson Winery & Vineyards, or Francis Ford Coppola Winery, make some wonderful wines as well as being very entertaining.

Are you in the industry?

1. Healdsburg (attraction)
  2. Williamson Wines (restaurant)
  3. Anderson Valley (attraction)
  4. Ledson Winery & Vineyards (attraction)
  5. Francis Ford Coppola Winery (restaurant)
Jonathan from Niskayuna, New York

Check out David and Priscilla Cohen's Moondance Cellars . They are great people and they made award wining wines in very small runs. David is a cousin of BR Cohen and was involved in the start-up of that winery.

www.moondancecellars.com

1. Moondance Cellars (attraction)