Johnny
Las Vegas

Solvang

What to do in Solvang... good places to stay, eat, etc.

I'm going to Solvang, CA for a day in early July and was thinking of staying there if there's someplace decent and fun to do so.  Also, I like the German tradition of biergardens and food... is there anything like that in this Danish town?  I'd imagine there are a lot of similarities...

Johnny from Las Vegas

An update on my question now that I've been there.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Solvang - Santa Ynez Valley and it was nice.  Room was big, had a nice view and was right on the edge of town so I could walk to everything.  The first night I ate dinner at the Solvang Brewing Company and the food was awesome!  Had Danish meatballs and beef stroganoff.  They had a great beer selection and it was karaoke night so it was busy... but the service was great.  Walked through town the next day and visited the Red Viking Restaurant which was also very good.  I had the smorgasbord and it had a great selection.  Also had an amazing eclair at the Danish Mill Bakery Inc right next door.  All in all, a great time!  

1. Holiday Inn Express Solvang - Santa Ynez Valley (hotel)
  2. Solvang Brewing Company (restaurant)
  3. Red Viking Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Danish Mill Bakery Inc (restaurant)

Bonnie from United States

I visited Solvang a few years ago not to stay, but for the afternoon as part of our trip from LA to San Fransisco. It was definitely worth the detour. The main part of the town seemed pretty small to me and a lot of the shops seemed to close on the early side so definitely visit early!

Mira from Los Angeles

Look into the Royal Copenhagen Inn! It's a nice, clean place and the staff was so accommodating. It isn't a 4 star place but it was nice for the price we paid. Be sure to visit the Elverhøj Museum of History & Art.

1. Royal Copenhagen Inn (hotel)
  2. Elverhøj Museum of History & Art (attraction)