Ross
Fort Collins

Snow or sun for Christmas?!

Would you rather be on the beach or be in ski's? Do you look forward to snow or just want to get south of the border?

Snow, but that's likely because we're Canadian and Christmas without snow is just weird! 

Christmas seems cheerier with snow, so I vote skis! My favorite slopes so far are in the Tiroler Alps of Austria near Sankt Veit im Pongau where you can ski from one mountain to the other and plan your days around what snow-covered hut you'll stop in for lunch. It's like a Bug's Bunny cartoon - delicious food only accessible by skis, warm fires, cozy places and cheerful Austrians who know how to make Schnapps in every flavor imaginable.

1. Austria (country)
  2. Sankt Veit im Pongau (city)

Milcah from Nairobi

Hello Ross,

I would prefer beach just relaxing Mombasa Beach

1. Mombasa Beach (attraction)

Rachel from Boston

My parents took my family on a vacation to Montreal for Christmas time and it was absolutely magical! I won't lie and tell you that our sun quota was filled but there is something special about a snow filled Christmas. We took the train up to Quebec Cityand rode a bobsled, had maple syrup rolled on a stick on snow, and had dinner at Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. We event went snowboarding at Mont-Tremblant where you can ski down through the little village, pop off your skis, and grab a hot drink! Either sun or snow, I am sure you will have a great trip!

1. Montreal (city)
  2. Quebec City (city)
  3. Fairmont Le Château Frontenac (hotel)
  4. Mont-Tremblant (hotel)

I like the sun and I will fly to Kuala Lumpur by the end of november and do a cycling tour of Malaysia and Sumatra where I also plan to cycle up the Toba vulcano to Lake Toba .

1. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  2. Malaysia (country)
  3. Sumatra (attraction)
  4. Lake Toba (attraction)

Mei & Kerstin from Larochette

A landscape covered with snow is certainly wonderful. And Christmas is best celebrated with snow. We'll spend the weekend before Christmas in Strasbourg, buying our Chrismas gifts in one of the largest and oldest Christmas market in Europe! 

But however beautiful snow can be, we'd prefer to go to the beach just after Christmas (if possible)! The thing is, we'll still have enough snow here in Luxembourg throughout January, February, and maybe even March! We're back from Asia for one week only, but we're already fed up with the heavy rain! Currently looking for a sunny place to spend a short week after Christmas :) Any recommendations??

1. Strasbourg (city)
  2. Luxembourg (country)

Jaleh from Baltimore

Snow, snow, snow! You can find summer weather pretty much any time of year in so many locations, but I think winter is really a time to enjoy the snow and all the fun winter activities that go with it. Also, I really enjoy bundling up and all that jazz, so it's exciting for me when the weather starts to drop!

Jessica from Los Angeles

I was born and raised in New York State and now live in Los Angeles, and while I love a white Christmas, I really enjoyed spending last Xmas in LA! I took my dog on a nice long walk in just a light jacket, admired the beautiful houses, and had a lovely day. There's really nothing like a New England holiday season.

1. New York State (state)
  2. Los Angeles (city)

Staci from Cleveland

Ross - I want to be on a BEACH!! But that never happens. One of these years, I'd love to spend the holidays in Punta Cana. Please and thank you. :) 

1. Punta Cana (region)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hi Ross!  That is a tough one,  since I live in and around snow for the Holidays.  For me, having snow, or being in close proximity to snow, is the way I would go.  It just feels more authentic.  However, I have been in warm climates around Christmas and being out of the snow certainly didn't hurt my feelings.  :)

Cherie from Bay Area

I have spent the winter holidays on the beach in Okinawa and Costa Ricaas well as enjoyed the Christmas markets in Prague, so I really love both options. However, having grown up as a California gal, I'm not used to heavy snow, so while I think bundling up in chilly weather could be fun, heavy snow/snowstorms/ice might put a damper on the festivities for me. Generally, I do not do so well in extreme weather locations for extended periods of time. ^_^ 

1. Okinawa (city)
  2. Costa Rica (country)
  3. Prague (city)

Christopher from San Antonio

I prefer a little snow. I'm from Longview (Washington) and enjoy the snow covered frozen of Lake Sacajawea but I now live in San Antonio so if we could safely get a few inches of snow The Riverwalk would be a great place to visit during the Christmas Tree Lighting at the Rivercenter Mall and when that gets boring The Alamo on Alamo Plaza is a great romatic place for some but if that doesn't get you going ride the horse drawn carriage around town. The Tower of the Americas is also a big touristic area and it all looks amazing with snow cover.

Defiantly want snow in San Antonio This year

Source: San Antonio Native (10+ Years) and http://visitsanantonio.com/holiday

1. Longview (Washington) (city)
  2. Lake Sacajawea (attraction)
  3. San Antonio (city)
  4. Riverwalk (attraction)
  5. Rivercenter Mall (attraction)
  6. The Alamo (attraction)
  7. Tower of the Americas (restaurant)