Emily
Montpellier

Slovenia, Postojna, Škocjan, Piran, Ljubljana

Postojna Caves or Skocjan Caves ?

Hi Travelers! 

We're going to Slovenia (and staying in Ljubljana) for 5 days end of May with a group of friends (6 of us). 

We've been exploring things to do around the country and would like to discover some of the caves. But our time is limited and we are already plenty of other stuff (rafting, hiking, beach coast, etc.).

Which would u recommend between the two major caves: Postojna or Skocjan on the way to Piran ? 

Cheers , 

TU

x

Dabs from Chicago

We were able to fit in both in the same day plus a brief stop at Predjama Castle on our way from Ljubljana to Piran but if that sounds too ambitious, my personal favorite was Škocjan CavesPostojna Cave is the more touristy of the two, it starts with a Disneyesque train ride into the caves and ends in a gift shop.  Skojcan, on the other hand, didn't have a big visitor's center or train ride, it was a smaller crowd but what I really liked about it was the sensation that we had just walked onto the set of the Lords of the Rings.  It's dark, it's vast, it's a little eerie.  And I swear I heard someone whisper "Precious"....

1. Predjama Castle (attraction)
  2. Ljubljana (city)
  3. Piran (city)
  4. Škocjan Caves (attraction)
  5. Postojna Cave (attraction)

Lojze

Postojnska jama Cave Grotte Höhle (Postojna caves) are big and very touristic. Škocjan Caves are smaller and less touristy and so nicer. In my opinion.

1. Postojnska jama Cave Grotte Höhle (attraction)
  2. Škocjan Caves (attraction)

Jaka

Postojna is bigger and it has a train inside :) (cool experience)

Škocjan is walk only.

They are both really nice. I would suggest you check out the Postojna cave!

Don't forget to visit Predjama Castle and Pustolovski park Postojna (Adventure park in Postojna)

1. Postojna (city)
  2. Škocjan (city)
  3. Predjama Castle (attraction)
  4. Pustolovski park Postojna (attraction)

Rolf from Groningen

Škocjan! Beautiful!

1. Škocjan (city)