Stanley
Butte

Singapore

What are the 3 must-see attractions in Singapore?

I feel as if every city has a certain number of really great attractions that always seem to be overlooked by tourists or even the general public. Having seen so many of the major attractions in Singapore (I've been to the zoo, Universal Studios, the bird park, Flyer, BeerMarket, etc), I'd like to try to find these less discovered gems. Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm going to be there for two weeks in the late spring/early summer if that helps at all.  Thanks!

Jason from Singapore

By the way, I absolutely love this question. Because it's one I ask when I explore new lands and have signals that I have reached a new stage with the city and am ready to peel the layers and dig deep. Also, I must qualify that there's a personal vested interest. So here goes....

a) Old coffee roasting factory roasting coffee beans the local way.

b) Traditional bread factory. 1 of 5 remaining traditional bakeries in Singapore. Baker has been in this business for 30 years and being crowded out by the big boys.

c) Paper house maker that makes miniature paper houses, cars, courtyards, servants, etc. for the Chinese to burn for their deceased ancestors.

d) A walk on the wild side in Geylang Singapore's legalized red light district. A bustle of activity especially at night, aside from the dodgy shady sex trade, Geylang is known for great food. Don't forget too, to sit by the roadside and eat tropical fruits like durian. It doesn't get more local than that.

e) Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre at 3 a.m. Yes 3 a.m. where wholesalers negotiate for prices daily for vegetables, etc. This is something that possibly 98% of Singaporeans may never have experience.

f) Have a teh tarik at 21 Bussorah Street. A top must-do before you leave Singapore. Read this http://www.tribe-tours.com/travel-tips/neighbourhoods

g) Amble about near Waterloo Street to witness locals praying at Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple and Sri Krishnan Temple. The former a Buddhist Temple and the latter a South Indian Hindu Temple...side by side! In fact, the whole area is known as the holiest street in Singapore with a few Churches, a Synagogue and Mosque all nearby.

(a), (b) and (c) are activities that I have seek out and have special access to. For example, the old coffee factory is run by a guy who knows a guy....., and he only allows me to bring people there on Thursday morning. (b) and (c) are part of a special tour I run called Disappearing Trades of Singapore (google if you're keen).

These are my gems...I hope you think so as well.

1. Geylang (attraction)
  2. Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre (attraction)
  3. 21 Bussorah Street (attraction)
  4. Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple (attraction)
  5. Sri Krishnan Temple (attraction)

Klaudia from London

every time i am in Singapore I try to go for a walk in  Bukit Timah Nature Reserve . It's great to be outdoors and meet some local wide life. Another must on my list is  East Coast Park where I rent rollerblades and blade with the locals , before sitting down to a great mud crab  Long Beach Seafood. If urban is more you thing have you been to  Chijmes for a lunch or walk around towards Little Arab Town and check out  Haji Lane. Great little strip filled with independent shops to get lost in . Also make sure you venture out to local hawker centers outside the city like my favourite  Chomp Chomp Food Centre. I am presuming you have visited  Little India and  Holland Village. Hope this helps . 

1. Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (attraction)
  2. East Coast Park (attraction)
  3. Long Beach Seafood (restaurant)
  4. Chijmes (attraction)
  5. Little Arab Town (neighborhood)
  6. Haji Lane (attraction)
  7. Chomp Chomp Food Centre (attraction)
  8. Little India (neighborhood)
  9. Holland Village (attraction)

SC from Petaling Jaya

If Haw Par Villa is still around, go there! 

1. Haw Par Villa (attraction)

James from Singapore River

I love answering this question. How about  Gardens by the Bay or  Henderson Waves?

1. Gardens by the Bay (attraction)
  2. Henderson Waves (attraction)

Jass from Tampines

Very few people now are going to Chinese Garden.
A great place for walking and photography.  Watching the sunset here definitely brings an awesome feeling. Around the vicinity, you can see majestic pagodas, Chinese landscapes & architectures, and some animals too like turtles & giant lizards either swimming on the lake or roaming around the garden.

1. Chinese Garden (attraction)

Lokman

If you're up for some exercise, and enjoy being among the garden side of Singapore, you'll love exploring The Southern Ridges (http://bit.ly/1cCZ6xs) and brave the The HSBC TreeTop Walk - Venus Drive Entrance (http://bit.ly/1cCZaxh). Who says its nothing but shopping malls here.

1. The Southern Ridges (attraction)
  2. HSBC TreeTop Walk - Venus Drive Entrance (attraction)

Lisa from Beaconsfield

I spent 4 months there on exchange and The Banana Leaf Apolo restaurant in Little India is my favourite place to eat in Singapore!

1. The Banana Leaf Apolo (restaurant)
  2. Little India (neighborhood)

Ted from Chicago

I spent a day in Pulau Ubin (Island) It was amazing. I rented a bike and peddled around lush tropical jungle wetlands with wild pigs, amazing bird life, and mangrove forest along the shoreline.

Next to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (already included in a previous answer is MacRitchie Park. They have miles of trails where you can disappear from the city and forget you are in one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

Another outdoor area is Sungei Buloh Nature Cove Great place to see wetland wildlife including monitor lizards and if you are lucky, crocodiles.

1. Pulau Ubin (Island) (attraction)
  2. Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (attraction)
  3. Sungei Buloh Nature Cove (attraction)

Matt from Singapore

like beer? Then, how about checking out the worlds highest micro-brewery next to Marina Bay Financial Centre (Tower 1) called LeVeL 33 Craft-Brewery Restaurant & Lounge (LeVel33)? Pretty good beer and a stunning view of the bay.

1. Marina Bay (neighborhood)
  2. LeVeL 33 Craft-Brewery Restaurant & Lounge (attraction)

Gabriel from Singapore

Try out Chinatown for great food at cheap prices though you've missed the best time to visit it which is Chinese New Year with all the festive lights and stuff.

1. Chinatown (neighborhood)

Jamie from San Francisco

East Coast Park is definitely worth the trip to the edge of town (take a cab).  It's expansive and serene, quite a contrast to busy and developed central city.  Watching the thousands of shipped anchored just off shore is a surreal sight you can probably only get in few places in the world.  And the combination of the East Coast Seafood Centre and the East Coast Lagoon Hawker Food Centre provides awesome food in this unique setting too.

There's some more good suggestions that we at WhereFare have compiled here: https://www.wherefare.co/guides/singapore?source=f

1. East Coast Park (attraction)
  2. East Coast Seafood Centre (attraction)