Peter
Austin (Texas)

Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand

Quick Southeast Asia trip - can't miss cities/sites?

Some friends and I are going to a colleague's wedding in India is lat January 2015, but since we're traveling all the way there we wanted to see a bit of southeast Asia as well. We currently fly into Singapore and then eight days later fly out of Bangkok. What are some can't miss cities/sites that we should definitely hit in between? Thanks!

Clement from Singapore

Hey man! I am Clement from Singapore! Singapore is a great city with many different attractions for different budgets. From exploring the city's urban infrastructure to the fuss free exploring of the neighbourhood, 1 things is definitely common: FOOD! 

For the most touristy but really amazing scenic places are the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Flyer and Gardens by the Bay

For the parks and recreational places, you can try Singapore Zoological Gardens (pretty amazing), Jurong BirdPark and Sentosa Island(an off-shore island with Universal Studios Singapore and beaches as well as the iconic Merlion).

For nightlife, you can definitely try out the area called Clarke Quay, where rows or pubs and clubs await you.

For the cheaper non-touristy stuff, you can be adventurous and go down to the heartlands. From the sleazier district of Geylang (I have a friend who would be more than willing to show you the great food and atmosphere there) to hawker food at Chomp Chomp Food Centre, just remember that travelling is quite convenient in Singapore as long as you get the EZ-link card and a map of the MRT/Bus lines. Cabbing is quite expensive for Singapore prices though. 

Feel Free to ask me anything! 

Cheers

1. Marina Bay Sands (hotel)
  2. Singapore Flyer (attraction)
  3. Gardens by the Bay (attraction)
  4. Singapore Zoological Gardens (attraction)
  5. Jurong BirdPark (attraction)
  6. Sentosa Island (island)
  7. Universal Studios Singapore (attraction)
  8. Clarke Quay (restaurant)
  9. Geylang (attraction)
  10. Chomp Chomp Food Centre (attraction)

Emily from Los Angeles

Sounds so great!!!  It isn't exactly on your way, but I really enjoyed Borneo.  I was only in the Malaysian parts, but I've heard excellent things about all of it. Amazing jungles and wildlife! Plus some of the best food I've ever had.

From Singapore you're pretty close to Kuching and to Miri (which is a jumping off point for some hiking and caving adventures.)  

Just something to consider! Have fun!

1. Borneo (attraction)
  2. Singapore (country)
  3. Kuching (city)
  4. Miri (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Peter.  Since you are probably going to want to spend at least a few days in Singapore and Bangkok, that probably only leaves you time for one stop in my opinion.  I would consider looking into Siem Reap.  The town, especially Pub St, is a lot of fun.  You can get a pedicure from a tank full of fish too!  But, the main reason I would recommend checking this out are the temples just outside Siem Reap.  Angkor Wat

Angkor ThomTa Prohm Temple

The Bayon are all incredibly amazing.  Plus, it's then a very simple, quick flight over to Bangkok.  If you do think this is an option, consider staying at the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, as it was wonderful!  Hope that helps and safe travels!

1. Singapore (country)
  3. Siem Reap (city)
  4. Pub St (attraction)
  5. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  6. Angkor Thom (attraction)
  7. Ta Prohm Temple (attraction)
  8. The Bayon (attraction)
  9. Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort (hotel)

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

From Singapore, stop by Penang in Malaysia for a taste of awesome food. I would highly recommend stopping by the Heritage area in George Town for a slice of history and to hunt down all the different street art. There's also the famous Penang Cendol in Penang Road Chendul, then hit up Restoran Kimberly and the surrounding areas for food. I would recommend visiting the coffee shop OPPOSITE the Kedai Kopi Baru Hari Hari Datang for delicious fish ball noodles (before 10am only) and then taking a leisurely walk through Pasar Chowrasta to soak in the atmosphere. 

1. George Town (city)
  2. Penang Road Chendul (attraction)
  3. Restoran Kimberly (attraction)
  4. Kedai Kopi Baru Hari Hari Datang (attraction)
  5. Pasar Chowrasta (attraction)

Tracy from Singapore

You may want to fly to Bali or Lombok in Indonesia ? Else, may consider Kuala Lumpur, Melaka or Penang in Malaysia which is closer to Singapore or Hanoi in Vietnam which closer to Bangkok. :)

1. Bali (island)
  2. Lombok (city)
  3. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  4. Melaka (attraction)
  5. Penang (city)
  6. Hanoi (city)

You should not miss out on Penang if you like to eat and Kuala Lumpur is a quite vibrant city too.

1. Penang (city)
  2. Kuala Lumpur (city)