SC
Petaling Jaya

Singapore

How's Geylang for the lone, female traveller?

Is it safe for a lone female traveller to be in Geylang at night? Just wondering.

Jacinda from Singapore

It's weird how Geylang is a red light district and at the same time is a food haven. Many of these food stalls open till after hours which means there are many people around. It is safe to be there alone even at night as there are still many young people visiting this place to grab dinner or supper. We typically go in groups with friends, it's like a gathering type of place. There are many streets (or as we call 'Lorong') at Geylang which are all numbered. I can't recall but I think the even-numbered ones are for food and the odd -numbered ones are for red light business so just don't walk through those lorongs you'll be fine. Hell, even if u did it's quite safe too just a few curious stares (I've done it). Police patrolling the area as well

1. Geylang (attraction)

Benjeev from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Singapore really is quite unique in that it's extremely safe to walk around in, even in situations where I usually wouldn't elsewhere. Of course, always exercise some common sense while out and about but I wouldn't worry too much about being in Geylang at night.

1. Singapore (country)
  2. Geylang (attraction)

Alejandro from Singapore

Singapore is very safe so no worries there. Geylang is very interesting and the worst you will get will be some curious stares. Now that said it is the red light district (if there is such a thing in Singapore) and there might be a bit of a meat-market atmosphere in some streets.

1. Geylang (attraction)

Alex from Tallinn

Perfectly safe, just like anywhere else in Singapore. :)