Jessica
Georgetown (Malaysia)

Singapore

Have not been to Singapore in 3 years. Where should I go?

Well, it has been 3 years since I last stepped foot in Singapore. I know a lot has changed since then, and I know I've still missed out on a lot the last time. What are the budget things I can do for fun while I'm there? I don't think I'll be keen on The Singapore Flyer, but I do like to take scenic photos and eat good food (with a budget, of course). Could use some input. Will be staying around Bukit Gombak MRT area for a week. Thanks!

Danny from Singapore

1. Have a breakfast at Bukit Gombak central. Be sure to check out the "Singapore Tourist Pass, a special ez-link card that offers tourist unlimited travel on Singapore's basic bus services, MRT and LRT trains for the duration that it is valid." 

2. Then start your day by taking a train ride from Bukit Gombak MRT to Jurong East MRT. Take the East-West Line to @Buona Vista MRT and switch to Circle Line. 

3. You can drop off at the new revamped Labrador Nature Reserve (there's the MRT station name as well) in the Circle Line. 

4. By lunchtime, you can continue along MRT track by the Holland Village (also the MRT station name) where there is a mixture of restaurants and hawker centre. 

5. If you like more gardens, you can drop by at the Singapore Botanic Gardens (also the same Circle Line). 

6. Carry on to Bishan MRT. At Bishan, you can have dinner or coffee there to soak in the after office crowd and neighbourhood feel. 

7. From Bishan, you can take the North-South line and loop back to Bukit Gombak MRT.

1. Bukit Gombak (attraction)
  2. Jurong East (attraction)
  3. Labrador Nature Reserve (attraction)
  4. Holland Village (attraction)
  5. Singapore Botanic Gardens (attraction)
  6. Bishan (attraction)

SC from Petaling Jaya

When I first saw your question, Henderson Waves came to mind. It's not a place you would go mid day, but later towards the evening is fine as it lights up. Only if you're the hiking sort.

Or you can flip through Neil Humphreys's "Return to a Sexy Island" for ideas what to see - it's about him going around the island after being away for five years. 

1. Henderson Waves (attraction)

Daisy from California

Oh my gosh, we just returned through there from Bali and had the most wonderful last day of a five week trip.  Gardens by the Bay is now open and will knock your socks off with its Super Trees and fabulous glass domed gardens.  We got there at 3PM and could have used more time before having dinner at the top (at 6) of the largest super tree until sunset when the fabulous lighting came on.  Right across the street is the incredible Marina Bay Sands (look it up to see why you want to go there) where we went at 8PM for the light show from the top.  We mentioned Ku Dé Ta (the bar) for a free trip up the elevator. It is a wonderful happening bar that can't be beat for music and incredible views.  It was one of the most memorable days of my life and we travel often and far.  Enjoy!

1. Gardens by the Bay (attraction)
  2. Marina Bay Sands (hotel)
  3. Ku Dé Ta (restaurant)

Maelle from Rennes, France

Go to Joo Chiat Rd for cheap and good food and East Coast Park for  a bit of "fresh air"

1. Joo Chiat Rd (attraction)
  2. East Coast Park (attraction)

Carole from Paris

Hi! We were in Singapore just last year and we were definitely on a budget. I wrote a blog post about activities, costs and accomodations: http://www.ooaworld.com/visit-singapore-three-days/

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peggy from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

1. Sentosa Island (island)

kenneth from Singapore

Walk along Esplanade Dr

1. Esplanade Dr (attraction)