Shireen
Hong Kong

Shireen from Hong Kong asked

Great Indian food in Singapore?

I’ll be in Singapore for at least two months this winter and want to know where I can get good Indian food. I'm from India, so the more authentic, the better, but I am open to fusion cuisine as well. Also, I know there’s in Indian district in the city, but I don’t know much about it. Is there anything there I shouldn’t miss? 

Singapore

Sarah

The Banana Leaf Apolo!  Might be a bit touristy, but it's very good! From what I remember it is in the Indian area of town. 

Shireen
Thank you very much Sarah!

Mailys
Agreed ! Best Indian food I have tested in S'pore

1. The Banana Leaf Apolo (restaurant)
Daniel from Singapore

Forget about the touristy and super pricy Banana Leaf, head to Sakunthala's Food Palace on Dunlop Street... Best mutton curry in town!

Kevin
AND Zafron Kitchen :)

Yum! And Kevin -- you should post that as an answer! :)

Kevin
hehe thanks! but there are already some answers w/ Zaffron in it so I thought 'no need' ;)

Haha, well, it's always helpful to give it an extra vote! If you scroll up and look right underneath the question, you'll see how many times each place has been mentioned :)

Kevin
hmm ok Debbie, I didn't notice that one (and it's a good idea), so I gave it an extra one ;)

Shireen
Thank you, Daniel! Some people can't stand mutton curry, but I am the opposite!

Daniel
Definitely agree Shireen! Their mutton curry is the best....

Mathilde from Venice Beach

Zaffron Kitchen definitely!! The best Indian restaurant in town :) Enjoy!

1. Zaffron Kitchen (restaurant)
Maelle from Rennes, France

I have never ever been disappointed by Zaffron Kitchen! It is a must try!

Kevin
Best restaurant EVER for me!! a must-try I confirm!

Shireen
Thank you, Maelle! Zaffron must be pretty amazing since so many have mentioned it!

1. Zaffron Kitchen (restaurant)
Michael

You can get a variety of Indian cuisine in this part of Singapore called Little India. Particularly along Race Course Road at the Serangoon Road vicinity. However Indian food is typically available all over Singapore. Most food courts, hawker centers have stalls selling Indian cuisine. Below are two links to reviews done on some Indian restaurants in Singapore:  

http://www.10best.com/destinations/singapore/singapore/restaurants/indian/

http://www.exmag.sg/cool_stuff/Top-10-Indian-restaurants-in-Singapore-33482.ece

Shireen
Thank you Michael!

1. Little India (neighborhood)
  2. Race Course Road (attraction)
Julie from Singapore

Our Village Colombo in Boat Quay has fantastic Northern Indian food and a great view. Also Chat Masala, Upper East Coast on East Coast Road is very good and authentic.

Shireen
Thanks, Julie! I do appreciate a good view!

Ashley from Singapore

You can check out the entire Little India stretch. They have a lot of Indian food ranging from cheap and affordable ones in coffee shops to a little bit more touristy and pricey restaurants.

Other than food, there are a lot of small shops around you can check out for shopping. There is a huge departmental store called Mustafa Centre, which is 24 hours. You can find basically everything there.. At a good price too.

Little India, like most places in Singapore is easily accessible via Mass Rapid Transit (MRT), the train system in Singapore. Just look up North East Line (Purple) and look for Little India or Farrer Park.

To be honest, you can find Indian Food anywhere in Singapore. But Little India's culture and atmosphere cannot be found anywhere else in Singapore.

Cheers.

Hope you find what you're looking for

PS. There is an alcohol ban in Little India after certain hours as there recently was a riot there (a one off incident, first time happened in Singapore in decades). But that's not to worry as you can just take the MRT elsewhere.

Shireen
Thank you very much for the leads Ashley!

1. Little India (neighborhood)
  2. Mustafa Centre (attraction)
  3. Farrer Park (attraction)
Fred from Singapore

You should go to Zaffron Kitchen in Joo Chiat, the best indian in town for me!

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/Zaffron_Kitchen/

Shireen
Everyone loves Zaffron! Thank you, Fred!

1. Zaffron Kitchen (restaurant)
Kevin from Los Angeles

I say Zaffron Kitchen BY FAR !!

Shireen
Thank you, Kevin. People on Trippy seem to really enjoy Zaffron!

Kevin
trust us, you're gonna love it ;)

1. Zaffron Kitchen (restaurant)
Jason from Singapore

For authenticity, I second those suggested by others especially Muthu's Curry and Samy's Curry Restaurant. But the one truly memorable Indian restaurant I had the pleasure of dining at during my days in the corporate world is Rang Mahal in Pan Pacific Singapore Hotel. I noticed no one has suggested a fusion one or high end Indian restaurant and Rang Mahal definitely does not disappoint. To me, the best Indian restaurant in Singapore! But because it's rather pricey, go once but be wowed!

Shireen
Thank you Jason! I will add Rang Mahal to the list!

1. Muthu's Curry (restaurant)
  2. Samy's Curry (restaurant)
  3. Rang Mahal (restaurant)
  4. Pan Pacific Singapore Hotel (hotel)
Manish from Delhi

Hello Shireen,

Most of the Indian shops and restaurants are concentrated around Little India. There you can find out many options according to your choice of food. I am listing some of the restaurants located in Little India. 

Kashmir Restaurant

Lagnaa, Bare Foot Dining

Komala Vilas

Madras New Woodlands Restaurant Pte Ltd

Tekka Centre

Ananda Bhavan Restaurant

Muthu's Curry

For more information on restaurants in Little India, and their reviews you can also click to open the below link:-

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurants-g2146379-Little_India_Singapore.html

As for the answer of your question, Little India as its name suggests Singapore’s foremost Indian Enclave. Some of the most popular places to visit in New India are listed below:-

Little India Arcade: - This is the place where you can find authentic Indian food, fashion, and music. It is a market area where you can find shops selling Indian clothing and souvenirs, you can buy Sari, Indian gold and silver jewellery and handicrafts.

Celebration Of Arts Pte Ltd: - If you are an  arts and handicrafts lover then this place offers you a lot, here you can find a wide selection of handicrafts from wood carving furniture to brass and marble items, paintings, decorative items, traditional fashion items and much more.

Mustafa Centre: - Here, you can bargain  about everything, from clothes, perfume, souvenirs, electronics, makeup, confectionery and even food and groceries.  

Sungei Road Flea Market: - it’s a kind of Chor Bazaar you find in India , here  you can find more than 400 vendors selling everything from vinyl records, cuckoo clocks, tasty food, and old cameras to Buddhist amulets and hiking boots.

Apart from these markets you can also visit Hindu temples like Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, Sri Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple, and, Temple Of 1000 Lights (Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya Temple) (Buddhist Temple).

"Let me know if you'd like to know more about any of the above!  Happy travels."

Gail from Canada

My daughter took me to a place called The Banana Leaf Restaurant. It was delish.

Shireen
Thank you Gail!