Alex
Newport (Wales)

Singapore

Does it matter where you stay in Singapore as long as it's near an MRT?

im a female planning on travelling solo to Singapore - should I am to stay as central as possible or is it generally fine wherever is stay as long as it's near an MRT line? also does the train system run all night, and would it be safe for a female travelling alone at night?

Jeremy from Singapore

The MRT is extremely convenient and you can pretty much get anywhere in Singapore within 45 minutes. Trains usually stop after 12midnight, but there are night buses if you wish to continue with public transport. Or you have Uber or Grab. Singapore is general really safe, even for females at night. The country is usually pretty brightly lit, and you'll hardly find areas with dark alleys and roads. We are night owls, and it's actually rather difficult to find yourself totally alone unless in the wee hours of the night. Hope you have a great time here! Don't forget to try all the local food at the "Hawker Centers" they're the best!

1. Singapore (country)

SC from Petaling Jaya

It really depends on what you're planning to visit; it would be best to stay as close as your budget allows. Hotels and hostels near popular downtown-y MRT stations would obviously be a little more expensive, but not as expensive as those on Orchard Rd as it's the main downtown shopping touristy area. 

It's pretty safe to walk around at night, but I never tried it out myself because I would be too tired to be out so late. 

I would heartily recommend the MRT as a means of getting around. However, it closes around 11-something to midnight until before 6 something in the a.m.? 

Janelle from Charleston

Alex, you have nothing to worry about.  Singapore is one of the safest cities on the planet, and punishment for crimes (including those against women) is so harsh that it's a major deterrent to criminal or antisocial behaviour.  You're as safe on the street in Singapore at midnight as you are in your own bedroom.

I would recommend staying in or near the CBD for the simple reason that that's where all the action is.  The MRT/bus system is one of the most comprehensive public transport systems in the world, and hardly anywhere in Singapore is more than a few blocks' walk from the nearest MRT station of bus stop.  It doesn't run in the wee hours of the night...I think it shuts down at midnight and starts up at 05:30. 

Michelle from Melbourne

The train doesn't run all night but the SMRT system is awesome. Singapore is one of the safest places in the world, especially for a solo female traveller. The main areas are extremely vibrant so it would be a shame for you to miss out on them if you don't stay there. While it's an expensive city, there are still budget options, or even perhaps try Airbnb?