Matthias
Copenhagen

Singapore

5 days. Eat, see & do?

I'm in Singapore for a week, working and got the evenings/weekend off.

Any Trippyans got some advice for what I should eat, see, do and shop for? I'm a "foodie", whatever that is - I love great food - and consider myself someone who tries hard to avoid the touristy areas anywhere I travel.

Joanna from Oakland

Good thing you're a foodie, Singapore has fantastic food. I read somewhere that you can eat a different dish for each day of the year without repeating. Local favorties are hainese chicken rice, laksa noodles, nasi goreng, kaya toast, curry chili crab, etc. The fresh squeezed juices are great. You can go to the hawker centers (outdoor food centers) and get these. 

Other places to visit- Sentosa Island (tourist beach) and Orchard Road (shopping). 

1. Sentosa Island (island)
  2. Orchard Road (attraction)

Jason from Singapore

You & Singapore are going to be a match made in heaven. Let's see, where do we start?

For the unavoidables that everyone will suggest you try:

1. Hainanese Chicken Rice (Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice)

2. Chilli Crab (look no further than these few famous establishments)

• Long Beach Seafood
  • No Signboard Seafood
  • New Ubin Seafood
  • Mellben Seafood
  • Roland
  • Jumbo Seafood
  • Hua Yu Wee
  • Palm Beach

3. Laksa (328 Katong Laksa)

But here's an extended list. Definitely try mee rebus, rojak, lor mee, frog's leg porridge, nasi briyani, bak kut teh and yong tau foo.

Around Sing Ming and nestled among car repair shops and mechanics is this place called New Ubin Seafood. If you make your way there, order their heart attack fried rice, chilli crab and they serve a mean pork knuckle with two different sauces. Surprisingly good as well is their beef ribeye but a little expensive.

Drinks-wise, must try local drinks are sugar cane juice ($1.5 - 2), milo dinosaur ($2 - 3?), kopi ($1 - 1.70), teh tarik ($1 - 1.70), bandung.

For amazing small snacks that are often overlooked like curry puff, chwee kueh, tau huay, puta mayam, goreng pisang, mean zhang kueh, read http://www.tribe-tours.com/blogs/5-mouth-watering-food-you-must-savor-in-singapore-3/.

For me, two hawker centres not to miss are Maxwell Road Hawker Centre and Changi Village Food Centre.

Don't waste a single meal. Enjoy!!!

1. Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (restaurant)
  2. 328 Katong Laksa (restaurant)
  3. New Ubin Seafood (restaurant)
  4. Maxwell Road Hawker Centre (attraction)
  5. Changi Village Food Centre (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

There are so many amazing food experiences in Singapore. For some great local tips, I'd suggest you check out the blog singaporefoodie.com.

If you wanted to splurge on a special dinner I'd suggest Jaan, which is in the Swissotel the Stamford. It has an amazing view over the city and Marina Bay Sands and the tasting menu is terrific.

For a fun place with excellent food, I'd suggest Bacchanalia, which is housed in a converted Masonic lodge. It's a quiet spot early in the week but later on, the music and the bar area can be hopping! The must try dish there is foie gras satay. Just extraordinary.

If you're into barbecued meats, check out Burnt Ends in Chinatown. This is in a fun area for bars and cafes and not too far from some of the local eateries where you can have such delicacies as bullfrog congee!