Alex
Newport (Wales)

Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Siem Reap

2 week SE Asia solo exploration holiday- any advice?

hey guys!

I'm planning a 2 week mini tour of SE Asia but I'm struggling to figure out how and what to fit in. My current plan is to fly into Singapore and fly out of KL in November/December.

im thinking 5 days in sinapore, then fly to Penang for a couple of days in Georgetown, maybe onto one of the islands for a few days on the beach and then onto KL to explore the city for a few days and fly home.

I don't really know how much time to allocate to each place, also a friend recommended I check out Siem Reap. Is it worth me trying to squeeze it in?

ideally I want the actual travelling to be as fast and hassle free as possible...

looking to explore the foodie scene for sure while I'm travelling and also soak up some culture.

any advice is appreciated!

Adrian from Melbourne

Start in Singapore. There are buses that leave Singapore via Malay to Thailand  

I loved it! Stop offs on the journey were great such as Malacca & Kuala Lumpuretc

1. Singapore (country)
  2. Malay (city)
  3. Thailand (attraction)
  4. Malacca (attraction)
  5. Kuala Lumpur (city)

Janelle from Charleston

Alex, since you have just 2 weeks I would pare down your itinerary to just 2 or 3 spots.  4 days is enough to get a taste of Singapore.  I haven't been to Georgetown/Penang but friends I know who have loved it.  KL is a workaday city with not all that much to appeal to the tourist, so 24 hours should be enough to get a feel for it before you fly home.  I would definitely recommend a side trip to Siem Reap/Angkor.  November and December is in the dry season, and that's the most popular time to visit - rates will be higher and there will be crowds - but don't let that deter you.  Siem Reap is a great town and the Angkor temple complex has to be seen to be believed.

Singapore is the best foodie town in the world, primarily because there is no typical tourist foodie scene, i.e. tourists and locals eat at the same spots.  The best way to experience Singapore's food culture is to eat at hawker centres (food courts consisting of several stalls, each serving a small number of unique dishes).  The best ones are Golden Mile Food Centre (mostly Thai and Malay), Maxwell Food Centre (mostly Chinese), Tekka Centre (Indian), Old Airport Road Food Centre (mostly Malay) and Changi Village Seafood (mostly seafood, a bit out of the way but worth it).  The Kopitiam chain is a great spot for breakfast and morning coffee.  The Banana Leaf Apolo is an Indian spot near the city centre that is well known in the travel industry but absolutely worth it.  And although accommodation is very expensive in Singapore, food isn't.  You can eat very well on less than 25 quid a day. 

Air Asia flies cheaply from Singapore to Siem Reap and Penang.  When I went to Siem Reap I was with Mum and Dad and we went all out and stayed at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor.  I don't know what your budget is, and I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money if I were paying, but there are plenty of options at all price ranges.  Siem Reap can appear touristy, especially around the city centre, but if you ask locals  for recommendations they'll be happy to show you the best food and drink options where you can get a more authentic local experience.  Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom are absolutely amazing, but I would definitely recommend going as early in the day as possible, especially during the high December season, so  you can have some time to experience them before the crowds show up and it becomes oppressively hot.   

1. Golden Mile Food Centre (restaurant)
  2. Maxwell Food Centre (restaurant)
  3. Tekka Centre (restaurant)
  4. Old Airport Road Food Centre (attraction)
  5. Changi Village Seafood (restaurant)
  6. The Banana Leaf Apolo (restaurant)
  7. Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor (hotel)
  8. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  9. Angkor Thom (attraction)

Nam from Bangkok

Hi Alex,

3 nights in Singapore

For urban attractions such as Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay. 

2 night in Kuala Lumpur

For Petronas Tower, Batu Cave and Putrajaya

2 night in Malacca Town

For UNESCO world heritage sites and walking street market at weekend

3-4 night in George Towninclude extra nights in Langkawi Island

For UNESCO world heritage sites, Penang Hill and beaches

3 nights in Siem ReapCambodia

For Angkor Archaeological sites, Pub street and Tonle Sap

Try local cuisines, every city you visit. Multi-cultural food scenes in Singapore and Malaysia are awesome. Cambodian food is difficult to find outside the country, so don't miss there!

1. Singapore (country)
  2. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  3. Malacca Town (city)
  4. George Town (city)
  5. Langkawi Island (attraction)
  6. Siem Reap (city)
  7. Cambodia (attraction)