Carl

Carl from Paris asked

10 days in south east Asia! What to see and do?

Hi! I plan to visit my sister who lives in Singapore. We want to spend 10 days somewhere in south east Asia. Any ideas? Somewhere not to miss? (we love nature and authentic places not crowded with tourists ;-) Many thanks!

Carl

Singapore   Vietnam   Laos   Cambodia

Nam from Kamphaeng Phet

For 10 days from Singapore, there are a lot of flights to any destinations across Southeast Asia. Nearby destinations are reasonable, you pay less and have more time for holidays.

South of ThailandMalaysia and Indonesiaare recommended.

Non-crowded and authentic places should be GilisLangkawi IslandKoh Lipe.

1. Singapore (country)
  2. Thailand (attraction)
  3. Malaysia (attraction)
  4. Indonesia (attraction)
  5. Gilis (attraction)
  6. Langkawi Island (attraction)
  7. Koh Lipe (city)
Teddy from New City, New York

I suggest you go to Vietnam. 

I like Vietnam because of the contrasts. It is very fast developing and changing, otherwise laid back and traditional. You'll find mass tourism and very quiet places, chaos and harmony, winners of the "turbo capitalism" and poor people... It's not a typical beach destination, more for history and culture and some landscapes. The culture is different from other countries in South-East-Asia, more influenced from China.

I like the people, the food, the beer and coffee culture and the good opportunities for photographers.Highly recommend . 

Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

10days, you should travel around Vietnam from northen to southern of Vietnam with som famous destinations such as HanoiHạ Long BayHo Chi Minh CityPhu QuocMekong River . Each place has many interesting activities for your choice such as floating markets in Mekong Delta, Halong cruise and street foods in HCMC

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hạ Long Bay (attraction)
  3. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  4. Phu Quoc (city)
  5. Mekong River (attraction)
Duyen from Hội An

Indonesia and Vietnam are some of the best cheap places to travel. When you are in Indonesia, you needn't worry about the overcharging. People give the good price for good value. Also, there are many beautiful places in Indonesia. 

In Viet Nam, the price is cheap too. But you need to bargain for a good deal. People here are super friendly and helpful. Hoi Anand Sa Pa District are some of the most beautiful places in Viet nam. Also, make your way to the off the beaten path to view a real local life. 

I have a wonderful time in Hoi An, you can view my itinerary for more details:https://www.justgola.com/plan/4-... . it includes the recommeded hotels, some free things to do in Hoi An. I will definitely come back this place. So gorgeous at night!

1. Indonesia (attraction)
  2. Vietnam (attraction)
  3. Hoi An (city)
  4. Sa Pa District (attraction)
Uriel from Saint-Jean-de-Luz

Hi Carl,

Since you will be arriving in Singapore, I recommend you reading this article which mentions 15 places to travel from Singapore, from here you can make your choices depending on your expectations (beaches/big cities/parties/cultural).

http://blog.eoasia.com/2015/03/10/15-weekend-destinations-with-a-direct-flight-from-singapore/

As for nature and authentic places, I would recommend Koh Lanta (Thailand) - Lombok (Indonesia) - Chiang Mai(Thailand) - Yogyakarta and around(Indonesia)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Uriel

Cindy from Rochester (New York)

Since you like nature, I would look into visitng Chek Jawa which is a beautiful reserve or the Chinese Garden. I loved the Chinese Garden, very tranquil and away from the bustle of the city.

1. Chek Jawa (attraction)
  2. Chinese Garden (attraction)