Anita
Old Town Alexandria

Cinque Terre, Siena

Transportation from Cinque Terre to Siena

How do you travel from Cinque Terre to Siena?

Caterina from Florence

Dear Anita,

this is my first time on Trippy.com, I hope you will find my answer useful :-)

So let's go straight to your question: between Riomaggiore (the first Cinque Terre village one meets when travelling north from Siena) and Siena there are 234 km, that means 3 hours and a half if you drive a car.

Unfortunately there's no good train connection between the two stations, just consider that normally you have to change 3 trains:

the first in La Spezia,

the second in Pisa,

the third in Empoli.

Here's an example from http://www.trenitalia.com/:

Riomaggiore 9:41am - La Spezia Centrale 9:49am (change) La Spezia Centrale 10:06am - Pisa Centrale 10:56am (change) Pisa Centrale 11:32am - Empoli 12:03pm (change) Empoli 12:08pm - Siena 1:14pm (!!!).

It takes 3/4 hours anyway as you can see, but is not the most comfortable solution at all. If I had to choose, I would definitely hire a car.

Best Regards

Caterina

1. Riomaggiore (region)
  2. La Spezia (city)
  3. Pisa (city)
  4. Empoli (city)
  5. Siena (city)

Desirae

We had a rental car for our trip to Italy. We drove from Siena to Pisa, stopped to see the tower, then parked our car in La Spezia, and took the train to the Cinque Terre. Once in the Cinque Terre, you can then take the boat between towns, walk the trail, or take the train. Have a fabulous time!

1. Italy (country)
  2. Siena (city)
  3. Pisa (city)
  4. La Spezia (city)
  5. Cinque Terre (region)

Beckah from Minneapolis

Ciao Anita! I would say the best route would be by train, even though it may take a couple of hours. If you are starting in La Spezia you'll probably have to make a couple stops and switch trains in Viareggio and Empoli. I hope this helps! Vernazza and Siena are two of my favorite cities in Italy!

1. La Spezia (city)
  2. Viareggio (city)
  3. Empoli (city)
  4. Vernazza (city)
  5. Siena (city)

Steve

Train from Cinque Terre to Florence as advised, then bus to Siena. For bus info check Bus from Florence to Siena

1. Cinque Terre (region)
  3. Siena (city)

Victoria from Riga

We always rent a car.

Alessia from Florence

I suggest you to rent a car in La Spezia. The landscape between Cinque Terre and Siena is magnificent, by car you can admire it.  

1. La Spezia (city)
  2. Cinque Terre (region)
  3. Siena (city)

Monica from Taggia

Hi Anita,

You can go to theCinque Terre to Siena by car or train.

Please do not hesitate to ask me further details, I'm travel consultant.

Best regards

1. Cinque Terre (region)
  2. Siena (city)

alessandro from Asciano

Hallo I think that the best way would be renting a car. Public transportation to reach Siena are not so good. From Cinque Terre you should drive A12 highway then A11 and A1 and then the 4 lanes Firenze Siena motorway. But then you'll have a car to explore the fantastic tuscan countryside and all the small villages.

regards

Alessandro Draghi

Agriturismo Il molinello

1. Cinque Terre (region)
  2. Siena (city)