Julie
Singapore

Siem Reap

Where to stay and eat for one weekend in Siem Reap?

A friend and I are heading to Siem Reap for a few days in August.  Looking for recommendations of good places to stay and eat/drink. For accommodation, would like to be in a location that is fairly central to all the sites and is also clean and safe. For eating/drinking, love to go places where you can try the local food and get a feel for the culture. We aren't on a backpacker's budget but also not looking to break the bank. Thanks!

We were there last summer (I'm jealous your visiting, we LOVED it).  We stayed Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort.  The people were the most friendly and kind that I have ever encountered.  It was terribly expensive, but was absolutely beautiful.  It has been around for a while, so it used to be listed in Conde Nast as best hotels in the world but has been beaten out by the new kids around Siem Reap.  They will also arrange transportation to and from the airport. 

Food:  The breakfast at the Sofitel was epic.  Make sure to take advantage of it.  It think it was $18.  Beyond the hotel, we enjoyed many restaurants in the central area-more commonly known as Pub Street.  Pop into any restaurant that looks good-even Viva Mexican Cafe was great.  Kind of fun to try Mexican food in Cambodia!  We ate a more traditional meal in the Pub Street area as well, but unfortunately-I cannot remember the name.  Pub Street is right next to the market-make sure to spend some time wandering around.

If you are going to visit the temples, I highly recommend a guide.  They just make getting around very easy and provide so much more information-little details that will amaze you.  We use Sun Same (owner).  His brother actually took us around for the entire day ($55 + entrance fees). 

Siem Reap Driver & Guide
Siem Reap, Angkor, Cambodia

Tel: +855 92 552 535 
http://www.driverinsiemreap.com/

1. Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort (hotel)
  2. Viva Mexican Cafe (restaurant)

Alex from London

Hi Julie,

My favourite hotel in Siem Reap has changed hands and is now maanaged by Hyatt so I am not sure how it has been adapted.  I did ask about and a friend suggested a look at Sojourn Boutique Villas Siem Reap, Sala Lodges, The RiverGarden Siem Reap, and the FCC Angkor Boutique Hotel, just to give an example and range of prices.

For restaurants, two of my favourites were tried and re-tested recently by said friend who followed my recommendation and loved them, so I feel safe sharing with you. The Sugar Palm is a good for Khmer local cuisine albeit a bit off the main road.  Actually it is located on a dirt back street but worth the walk, the building is lovely and the clientele a nice mix of expat residents and locals (plus a few tourists...always).

AHA in the Old French Quarter (near Pub Street) is completely different: a self-titled wine bar, it serves rather sophisticated (but affordable) fusioned cuisine.

Lastly, if looking for good spa treatments, I would reccommend a visit to the Cambodian business Bodia Spa (there is also a Bodia Spa Phnom Penh in Phnon Penh).

Hope this helps!

1. Siem Reap (metro area)
  2. Sojourn Boutique Villas Siem Reap (hotel)
  3. Sala Lodges (hotel)
  4. The RiverGarden Siem Reap (hotel)
  5. The Sugar Palm (restaurant)
  6. Old French Quarter (neighborhood)
  7. Bodia Spa (attraction)
  8. Bodia Spa Phnom Penh (attraction)
  9. FCC Angkor Boutique Hotel (hotel)

Layla from Sao Paulo

I would recommend you to stay in The Siem Reap Hostel (http://www.thesiemreaphostel.com) , which is owned by Australians - they have a really nice job there to help people from Cambodia at the same time they have this hostel as a 'business'. I've stayed there for few days and can tell you they are in a really good location - you can go by bike to Angkor Wat temples, not a hard way to get there and really nice views - and good drinks for cheap price!

1. Siem Reap Hostel (hotel)
  2. Cambodia (country)
  3. Angkor Wat (attraction)

Mathilde from Venice Beach

Hey Julie. I went to Siem Reap 6 months back and we stayed at My Home Tropical Garden Villa Siem Reap, which is central, clean, cosy (nice garden restaurant) and not too expensive (20 USD per night). You can rent bikes there for 1USD per day to visit the temples. We had lunch at the The Sugar Palm, the deco is nice although a bit expensive. If you're french you can check out my blog article right here: http://mathildebaillet.tumblr.com/ That might help you :) Cheers and enjoy your trip!

1. My Home Tropical Garden Villa Siem Reap (hotel)
  2. The Sugar Palm (restaurant)

Karisa from Atlanta

I had one of the best stays ever Jayavara Villas in Siem Reap.  The staff was friendly and knowledgable and set us up with tuk tuk drivers to take us to the temples.  There are restaurants walking distance, or a short $1USD ride. 

1. Jayavara Villas (hotel)
  2. Siem Reap (city)

Aroha from Auckland

Hi Julie, My Mum and I stayed at the Somadevi Angkor Hotel Spa, 4 Star, $42 NZD for a twin room,  lovely staff, great breakfast buffet, and the pool is gorgeous, you can swim to the poolside bar for a fresh coconut or tropical beverage of your choice. We had a great time here, have a wonderful holiday!

1. Somadevi Angkor Hotel Spa (hotel)

Tuhin from Timbuktu

stay & eat near Pub Street

1. Pub Street (attraction)