Columbus

Siem Reap

Must-try foods for adventurous eaters in Siem Reap

A couple of friends and I are headed to Asia in the late fall and one of our stops will be Siem Reap. Being that it’s our only stop in Cambodia, we want to get our fill of Cambodian cuisine on, especially ones that are local and exclusive to Siem Reap.

We’re adventurous eaters with no dietary restrictions, and we’re not afraid to eat bugs, so tell us what we need to eat.  Bring it!

Vicky from Los Angeles

Try Cuisine Wat Damnak by chef Joannès Rivière. His cuisine is not so much traditional Khmer, instead he takes it one or two steps further - he takes local, seasonal ingredients and turns them into exquisite dishes that really wake up the taste bud. I'd been to Meric at the lovely Hotel de la Paix (which has now become a Park Hyatt) when he was chef executive and the tasting menu I had there still stands as one of the best memories of my travels. You can truly taste the love that goes into preparing the food!  

I also like the restaurant at the FCC Angkor Boutique Hotel - it's lively but not loud and the food is also prepared with care. Stay away from most of the restaurants in the old market - they're too touristy, majority of the dishes are too high in sodium and use really cheap ingredients. Food is inexpensive in Siem Reap and you should go for the finer dining options - it's worth it! Or, another option is to go to a restaurant that's also a training school supporting local organizations. I've heard good things about Haven Training Restaurant and Blossom Cafe (never been there yet but they're definitely on my list when I return to Siem Reap!) 

1. Cuisine Wat Damnak (restaurant)
  2. FCC Angkor Boutique Hotel (hotel)

Steve from New York City

I just got back from a long tip that involved Siem Reap.  This article was pretty useful for the dishes to make sure that I tried. Fish Amok is amazing. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/13-cambodian-dishes-you-should-know.html

1. Siem Reap (city)