Andreas asked

One week Plan for Sicily

Hello! I need your help!! I will go with my girlfriend to Sicily, for 1 week! Between 20-27 September.. my questions are:

1. In general, is the weather good during mid-late September to visit beaches and have bath??

2. One friend, who visited Sicily, suggested me to visit the must places : Palermo, San Vito beach, Mondelo Beach, Balestrate Beach, Catania, Taormina, Siracousa, Aetna, and maybe Trapani and Cefalu. How should I arrange it?

I want to visit traditional cities, nice beaches, and just to take a good picture of Sicily..

3. Important notification : I arrive and depart from Palermo airport

4. I ll try to rent a car, just to be able to go from city to city easier . The problem is that I don't have a credit card ! Will I be able to rent a car with cash there ??Otherwise, can i visit every place with bus??

5. My first thought was to spent 3 first days at Palermo and visit the near places from there, and the rest days at Catania , and visit from there Taormina etc etc . What's your suggestion??

6. Should I visit Agrigento? It's kinda far away from the other places I ll go!

Thanks in advance

Sicily (Italy)

Giulia from Sicily
Hi Andreas, usually for the period that goes from May to the end of September I always recommend to rent a boat in Sicily and enjoy the Aeolian Islands, have you ever heard about it? This archipelago is simply amazing!! 7 volcanic islands that are Stromboli, Panarea, Salina, Lipari, Vulcano, Filicudi, and Alicudi. If you land in Palermo I suggest to start from Alicudi, that is closer. If you land in Catania the closest bases are Portorosa or Capo d'Orlando and the itinerary would start from Vulcano. Crystalline waters, mud bath, striking views, exquisite local and fresh food, and memorable swimming around the islands watching the volcano eruption aboard your boat. It's definitively crazy!

Sabine from Hamburg, Germany

Hi Andreas,

1. The weather is generally gorgeous in September and the sea warm

2.  5. Your program is far too big for one week - you'll have to keep in mind the long distances on Sicily. Maybe you should book a pre-organized roundtrip that starts in Palermo

4. Car rental without a credit card is not possible

5. The idea of spending 3 days in Palermo and 3 days in Catania is not bad, but without a car you'll loose much time on trips by local buses, which are not very reliable (delays). Instead of spending 3 days in Catania I would suggest 3 days in Taormina or (better, because cheaper) in Giardini-Naxos, which lies under Taormina

6. You could go from Taormina to Agrigento by excursion bus.

Hope my tips are helpful

Sabine