Mary from Leicester
Below is a route which avoids driving through Chicago and/or its suburbs. Distance is around 524 miles, estimated minimum journey time 8 hours excluding traffic congestion and rest-stops.
From Shelbyville (Kentucky):
1. Take the I-64 (west) to and through Louisville then take a right onto the I-65 (north).
2. Follow the I-65 N to the southern edge of Indianapolis then take a left onto the I-465 (west) to skirt the city.
3. Take a left onto the I-74 (west) and follow it, passing through or near CrawfordsvilleDanville and Mahomet (Illinois). When you reach the north-western edge of Bloomington (Illinois) take a left onto the I-39 (north). 
4.  Follow the I-39 northwards, passing through or near MinonkOglesby and Rochelle.
5.  When you hit the southern outskirts of Rockford (Illinois) take a left onto the 20 (west).
6. Follow the 20 west, passing through or near Winnebago (Illinois)Freeport (Illinois)Stockton (Illinois) and Elizabeth (Illinois) until you reach Galena (Illinois).

Cathy
Mary - you are absolutely correct but what I would like is an interactive map that I can follow on my cell phone with warnings about changes ahead!!!

Mary
Cathy, if you want an interactive map to use on your cellphone you need to choose an appropriate website! Try www.googlemaps.com