Lita

Shanghai

What do the locals like to do in Shanghai?

I'm visiting Shanghai with friends for the first time and we're looking to get away from tourist attractions, and hang where the locals do.  What do local 20-30 something year olds like to do around the city?

Alejandro from Singapore

Tianzifang is a hipster alleyway full of local designer shops, Shanghai artist studios and cafés. There will be some tourist. Its close to the French Concession which is a favorite of local expats.

For drinks and clubs: The Bar Rouge and M1NT used to be the standard of local hip crowds.

KTVs are the rave amongst locals and Fame KTV at 3/F, South Block, Xintiandi, 123 Xingye Rd is the tippy top of them (http://weibo.com/famekalaok)

1. Tianzifang (attraction)
  2. French Concession (attraction)
  3. Bar Rouge (restaurant)
  4. M1NT (attraction)

David from Baltimore

Try to hang out with some of the university students there! Fudan University was the local university I went to when I studied abroad there. The students are incredibly smart and very eager to learn/practice their language. I'd go for a walk in the common and just say hi to the people studying there. They will know some great places to go eat, a lot of people play sports out on the green, and it's decidedly not "touristy". I think it gives you a great feel for the real people of China.

1. Fudan University (attraction)