Courtney

Shanghai

What are the top five must-see attractions in Shanghai?

I'm planning on taking a trip to Shanghai this year and would love to know what you think the top five must-sees are. I love interesting architecture, great walking streets, museums, shopping as long as it's independently owned stores (not interested in seeing H & M in China), and great people watching. Not a big foodie, but if there's a restaurant you think is a must-see I'll check it out! I'm also OK with major attractions as long as they're really worth it. I'll be visiting a friend but sight-seeing on my own--I'm pretty adventurous but I probably shouldn't venture too far out from civilization. Thanks!

Valerie from Seattle

Here are my top 4! I was totally jet-lagged in Shanghai and didn't do nearly enough, considering I was there a week!

1. People's Square - the heart of the city where you can catch a moment of peace among the trees and ponds

2. The Bund as seen from across the river - the 'money shot' of Shanghai, beautiful by day or night (though the pollution will be less obvious by night)

3. The City God Temple - once you make it past the homeless and hawkers, a really spiritual place to learn about the history of the country

4. Tianshan Tea City (No.520 Zhongshan West Road, Changning District, Shanghai, China) - perfect for exploring and learning about everything tea related

Also, it's worth checking out the Air Quality Index app before you go, so you know what days will be good for being outside.

1. People's Square (attraction)
  2. The Bund (attraction)
  3. City God Temple (attraction)
  4. Tianshan Tea City (attraction)

marco from Shanghai

what kind of spot do you prefer ? i know where most young chinese want to go . such as Tianzifang, something like Yu Garden. old street old building with shops. Yu Garden is also good, there includes most chinese culture . Shanghai Museum is the best museum in shanghai . the third one i recommend is China Art Museum in Expo Park. next is Shanghai World Financial Center and The Bund.

if you wang to know the must-eat , you can connect me with wechat:275261317 or whatsapp

1. Tianzifang (attraction)
  2. Yu Garden (attraction)
  3. Shanghai Museum (attraction)
  4. China Art Museum (attraction)
  5. The Bund (attraction)
  6. Shanghai World Financial Center (attraction)

Qingying from Songjiang

1. Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental (hotel)
  2. She Shan Cathedral (attraction)