Veronica

Shanghai

Cool, moderately-priced hotel in Shanghai?

Looking for some hotel recommendations in Shanghai in May. We'll be there for at least 4 days, and we'd like something that's fun and cool! We're already spending a ton of money already on this trip, so something mid-priced would be great. 

Ed from Boston

Look into the chain called " Orange Hotel." 桔子酒店. It is a chain of boutique hotels with modern design and very affordable prices. I stayed at several in Beijing and it was fantastic value for money. I believe they have them in Shanghai as well. Otherwise, look into service apartments for extended stays. You can often share a 3 bedroom 2000 square feet apartment for something ridiculous like $35 a person among 3 people. Hotel options are quite far and wide in Shanghai. Enjoy your trip! Remember to check out 1933 Slaughterhouse ( 1933 Old Millfun) and Tianzifang!

Edited to add: I forgot to add, travelers may want to use english.Ctrip.com rather than Kayak or hotels.com for mainland China. It's a local website and in my experience, it consistently has a greater selection and better price options for economy hotels than websites we are otherwise used to. Agoda (based in Singapore) works really well for Asia also (especially for service apartments) but Ctrip has so many local hotels/inns/motels otherwise not listed on other websites. You can't find Orange Hotels on most US sites, but it's on Ctrip. (Btw I don't work for them, it just worked really well for me in the past!)

1. Orange Hotel (hotel)
  2. Beijing (city)
  3. Shanghai (city)
  4. 1933 Old Millfun (attraction)
  5. Tianzifang (attraction)

The first place I would probably check out is the Grand Hyatt Shanghai. The views here are insane and the rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows so you can really see everything. Very pretty rooms in very traditional Chinese décor. They also have an amazing pool if you like to swim and a great spa. You can definitely get a room here for about $200/night. And don’t forget to try the restaurant—great food but the view (again) is really the star of the show here.

The Hotel Nikko Shanghai also has great views and while it’s not quite as glam as the Hyatt it’s less expensive—probably around $130 if you find a good online rate. Rooms are very tasteful although a bit more modern-meets-IKEA. Very centrally located, though, and an excellent value.

If you’re up for a bit of an adventure, I would try the Astor House Hotel 礼查饭店. It’s been in operation since the 1800s and you can really feel the history--supposedly the first telephone call was made here, but I’m not sure I believe that--Albert Einstein and Charlie Chaplin were guests here at one point. The rooms can be a little bizarre—some are kind of plain and some look like the set of “Little House on the Prairie” but they have some very good deals and you can say you’ve been there. It’s definitely the kind of place you stay for the adventure and the history so as long as you have that kind of mindset about it you’ll be OK.

If you’d prefer something a little more boutique-y, try Quintet B&B. It’s actually a B & B and they have great rates ($150/night or so). Really well decorated, great location, and they serve a lovely breakfast.

1. Grand Hyatt Shanghai (hotel)
  2. Hotel Nikko Shanghai (hotel)
  3. Astor House Hotel 礼查饭店 (hotel)
  4. Quintet B&B (hotel)

Jim from North Hollywood

Check out the hotels in the old International Settlement. A lot were built in the 20's. Also as you live in San Francisco, I would go to Chinatown and use a travel agent there, as they have better contacts in China.

1. International Settlement (neighborhood)

Tara from London

Try Central Hotel Shanghai which is very close to the Nanjing Road. From this hotel you can walk to The Bund. The price is reasonable for Shanghai and the breakfast is very good. 

1. Nanjing Road (attraction)
  2. The Bund (attraction)
  3. Central Hotel Shanghai (hotel)

Pejman from Vancouver

i stayed in hostels that were really chic and modern for around $20 per night. i suggest you check out www.hostelworld.com to look at prices.

i always enjoy hostels because you are never alone, and make fast friends.

Mickey from Taipei

When I traveled in Shanghai, I stayed in this hostel that " 7 Days Inn". It's a good hostel. It's
good for backpackers and cheap. They's link is http://www.7daysinn.cn/

1. 7 Days Inn (hotel)