Mayumi
Tokyo

Mayumi from Tokyo asked

Best restaurants in Shanghai?

I'm going to Shanghai on a work trip for a week and want to indulge on some great restaurants. What are the best restaurants to not be missed?

Shanghai (China)

Shannon from Shanghai

A great thing about Shanghai is the availability of the many regional Chinese cuisines and worldwide cuisine as well. So much to choose from! Grab some street food/go to small hole in the wall places too...like the famous Shanghai Baiyang Northeast Dumpling Restaurant (shengjianbao), Lao Shanghai Congyoubing and  Jianbing Dajian(my fave...hit the streets early and look for a popular vendor; you can get them in the streets behind People's Square/E. Nanjing if you're staying in those areas). JiaJia Tong  (Huanghe Lu, a busy food street near People's Square) is good for Xiaolongbao and there's another place I like right across from Shanghai Huanmao Iapm Shopping Mall/S. Shaanxi line 10 metro. I also like Jianguo 368  for Shanghainese. Quanjude or Lao Beijing Duck (if you don't get to Beijing), as it's hard not to love that crispy duck skin! Lots of good suggestions from Edna here too.

One of my most amazing restaurant experiences ever, anywhere would have to be UV...if you can get in and have the money to spend, I always tell people it's an experience beyond a dinner so think of it more like the price of a short trip. There's a lot of international cuisine on the high end, depending on what you're looking for, so if you're craving any particular type of cuisine you can likely get it done pretty well here. My favorite places don't tend to be on the Bund, but it's great for the iconic views (a cocktail instead, maybe?).

Edna from Paris

There are so many!

Off the top of my head, Lotus Restaurant on Dinxgi Lu is the best Yunnan food in town (and a fraction of the cost/pretentiousness of Lost Heaven!) and where I always bring friends visiting town.

Gu Yi on Julu Lu/Fumin Lu is great for spicy Hunanese food -- get the pork ribs with cumin!

For brunch, groups, or craft beers, go to Liquid Laundry. If you want to be by the Bund, go to THE NEST.

For dim sum and xiaolongbao try Lei Garden (there's a couple branches in Shanghai, I like the one at IAPM mall) as an alternative to Ding Tai Fung.

For Shanghainese there's Jesse Restaurant, but go to the original and not the branches (reservations definitely required, it's a super small place!).

For hot pot absolutely go to Holy Cow Shanghai, the vegetables are organic and come from the owner's farm, and the beef is fresh from Dalian.

1. Lotus Restaurant (attraction)
  2. Liquid Laundry (attraction)
  3. THE NEST (attraction)
  4. Jesse Restaurant (attraction)
Arthur from London, United Kingdom

It depends which side of the river you will be on, and what your budget is. If you are ok with 20-30 pounds for a meal, I'd recommend Lost Heaven Bar on Yanan Dong Lu. It has really tasty, inventive dishes, and a cocktail bar on a rooftop balcony. The Chinese restaurant on the ground floor of BUND Club is also great, and their roast duck is amazing, but that's a bit pricier. If you want to try really cheap, authentic local stuff, try the backstreets behind Nanjing East Rd, in particular a small restaurant called Lailai Snack Dumpling. They do great wonton soup and "xiao long bao" (Shanghainese dumplings). For the same kind of food but done in a much pricier, more touristy way, Din Tai Fung at the Shanghai Centre on Nanjing Xi Lu is pretty good. Enjoy!

1. Lost Heaven Bar (restaurant)
  2. BUND Club (restaurant)
  3. Nanjing East Rd (attraction)
  4. Lailai Snack Dumpling (restaurant)
  5. Din Tai Fung (restaurant)