Antica
Zagreb

Seoul

Where to stay in Seoul Downtown?

I am going in February on business to Seoul and I'll stay in a hotel in Goyang City. However I will travel to Seoul  2 days earlier in order to visit the town. Can anyone suggest where to stay in order to be closer to interesting sights? And how far is Goyang City from sights in Seoul and how can one travel on public transport?

Hanwool

I recommend a hotel at Jongno-gu, in Seoul. There are many attractions nearby. In addition, there are many delicious restaurants.

1. Jongno-gu (attraction)

Sae from Daegu

Hello, Antica. Welcome.

Goyang city is about an hour away by car or 45min to 1 hour ride by subway. If you have a ride, it would be better to move by car.

For Seoul city tour, I think you should stay at The Westin Chosun, Seoul hotel because it is located in the center of Seoul. If you want a place cheaper than Westin, try searching at expedia.com. Ibis Myeongdong hotel is also at a great location and relatively cheap.

1. Goyang (city)
  2. The Westin Chosun, Seoul (restaurant)
  3. Ibis Myeongdong (hotel)

I stayed in a place called the Saerim Hotel. I was a little worried because it didn't have a website ... but the rooms were great, even had a Linux desktop computer. It was clean and quiet, plus close to a lot of good places. Here's more info: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294197-d1174409-Reviews-Saerim_Hotel-Seoul.html

1. Saerim Hotel (hotel)

Jonghwan from Seoul

Nice to meet you. If you have 2 free days before business, I'd recommend you find hotels located a little bit closer to center of Seoul or Gangnam area. You can use following key words for the locations at hotel reservation sites.
(1) Gwanghwamun ('mun' is 'gate' in Korean)
(2) Hongdae (=Hongik University, 'dae' is 'university' in Korean)
(3) Gangnam (Gananam-station, Samsung-station on subway Line No. 2)

You'd be also able to find nice small apartments (called as 'officetel' in Korea) in Airbnb under $100 per night.

By the way, do you have a business in Goyang-si? ('si' is 'city' in Korean) I've not lived there but I feel it's a little bit far from main areas of Seoul, especially from Gangnam. It'll take about 40~50 minutes to Gwanghwamun or City Hall and over 1 hour to Gangnam-gu by subway. Taking buses will save your time, but not so much and it'll not be an easy solution for foreigners.

And just for your information, Feb. 18~20 is Lunar New Year holidays when a huge number of Seoulites get out of Seoul heading to their hometown or overseas. During this period, Seoul becomes a little bit quiet, but major sightseeing sites are always crowded as usual.

1. Gwanghwamun (attraction)
  2. Hongdae (attraction)
  3. City Hall (attraction)
  4. Gangnam-gu (neighborhood)