Antoine

Antoine from Paris asked

Where is the best area to stay in Seoul?

I'm taking a brief trip to Seoul and wanted to know the best areas to stay. I want to be close to main attractions, restaurants, etc... any hotel recommendations would be much appreciated. 

Seoul

Keyoungduck from Insadong

its depend on your interesting is. if you love to eat something, to go outside, to visit historical place.... 

generally Myungdong, Jongro, is old fashioned place. Kangnam Station or Shinsa-dong is new area for Hallyu(Kpop, Plastic Surgery, Food...)

슬기

Surrounded by Gyeongbokgung, Changdeokgung Palace and Huwon and Jongmyo Shrine,Korea Seoul Bukchon Hanok Village MYEONG GA JAE Accommodation Hanok Hotels is home to hundreds of traditional houses called 'hanok' that date back to the Joseon Dynasty. The name, 'Bukchon,' which literally translates to 'northern village,' came about as the neighborhoods that the village covers lie to the north of the two significant Seoul landmarks, Cheonggyecheon Stream and Jongno-gu. Today, many of these hanoks operate as cultural centers, guesthouses, restaurants and tea houses, providing an opportunity to experience, learn and immerse in Korean traditional culture.

Patria from Manila

Hongdae is a good place to stay in! Just be sure to pick a hostel near the bus station so going on different tourist spots would be easy :) We stayed in Twin Rabbit Hostel in HongDae (but they've moved or added buildings) so can check out their website if you wish. Also, hostels are better than hotels in my opinion because it gives you the feeling of really living in Seoul! Hope this helps & enjoy Korea 😊

Patria
Hongdae or the residential area across it which is Mapo-gu :)

Valerie
Thanks for the answer, Patria! I'm a part of the community team here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

1. Hongdae (attraction)
  2. Twin Rabbit Hostel in HongDae (hotel)

Insadong is a fun neighborhood. There's plenty to do there, from karaoke (not for me) to visiting palaces to eating roadside food. I wish I could recommend specific restaurants, but nearly every place I went had its name in the Hangul alphabet; I'd recommend just plunging into anyplace that looks good - be adventurous. We stayed at the Saerim Hotel, which was perfectly nice but nothing fancy. It was also reasonably priced.

Attractions? Just walk. Anyone can find something interesting to see or do in Seoul just by walking.

1. Insadong (neighborhood)
  2. Saerim Hotel (hotel)
Bomi

Jongno-gu is the best place. Namsan and Myeong-dong also. They are close to each other. Another place you might want to consider staying is Hong-dae. Gangnam-gu is also nice but will be pricy as this is the district where the riches live.

1. Jongno-gu (attraction)
  2. Namsan (attraction)
  3. Myeong-dong (attraction)
  4. Gangnam-gu (attraction)
Jimmy

i think you'd better stay near Jong-ro and Myeong-dong there is many hotels, restaurants, attractions.

1. Jong-ro (attraction)
  2. Myeong-dong (attraction)