Katie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Seoul for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Seoul and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Seoul is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Seoul

Han-jun from Seoul, South Korea

I strongly suggest you 베스트 웨스턴 프리미어 구로 호텔 guro bestwestern Hotel

https://www.gurohotel.co.kr

Good location. nearby E-mart one of the largest shop chain in Korea

Random from Seattle

Check out the The Hongdae environs... 

Jarrett from Seoul

Itaewon is a good neighborhood (although very Expat oriented) with great nightlife.  For more of a local feel, near City Hall (Gwanghwamun) is close to many of the sites.

1. Itaewon (attraction)
  2. Gwanghwamun (attraction)
Kayla from Alameda, California

I'm assuming you're young, in your 20s maybe? I would recommend staying in Hongdae B GuesthouseItaewonGangnam-gu

Hongdae is the area surrounding Hongik University. It is one of the most popular areas in Seoul, full of shopping, great restaurants (Korean and foreign), bars, and clubs. Depending on what time of the year you're going, Hongdae is usually pretty buzzing at night time. There is a playground in the center of the area that a lot of people go to at night to "pre-game." You'll all kinds of people, Korean and foreign, performers, DJs, boxing matches! When the weather is warm, this is an interesting place to people watch. If you take the subway to Hongik Univ., exit 9 will be the exit that leads you into a world of endless entertainment. I'm not sure about any particular hotels, but if you search this area, I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

Itaewon is the "foreign" area of Seoul. If you're craving Indian food, a good taco, or someone that can speak fluent English, Itaewon is the place to go. There are hundreds of restaurants from around the world, many bars and clubs, as well as lots of hotels/hostels/guesthouses.

Gangnam is a more expensive area, but also really nice with decent shopping and night life. It's a bit farther out, not really in the center of the city, but one of my favorite clubs is in Gangnam (Octagon). Gangnam would be considered the Beverley Hills of Seoul, if that puts it into perspective. 

When I visit Seoul (I live down south near Busan), I usually stay in Hongdae or Itaewon.

I hope this was helpful!

1. Hongdae B Guesthouse (hotel)
  2. Itaewon (attraction)
  3. Gangnam-gu (attraction)
MinSoo from Seoul, South Korea

A lot of people go to Myeong-dong but I recommend that you

stay at Yeoeuido-dong. The Conrad Seoul there is newly built and has a great view.

Its also pretty central regarding subway so you have a easy time going

to both Gangnam-gu and Jong-ro/Myeong-dong/etc

1. Myeong-dong (attraction)
  2. Yeoeuido-dong (attraction)
  3. Conrad Seoul (attraction)
  4. Gangnam-gu (attraction)
  5. Jong-ro (attraction)
  6. Myeong-dong (attraction)