Candace
San Diego

Seoul, South Korea

5 things to do for a first timer to Seoul?

Hi guys!

This will be my first time to Seoul and I don't want to miss any must do activities/sites to see while I'm here. What are your top 5 picks on things I should do/see/eat? I'm really adventurous, love being outdoors, and not a picky eater (the more adventurous, the better!)

Leonard from Minneapolis

For a fun (and unique) experience go to the market/food court in the basement of Lotte Department Store.  Find out what time they close, and go there right at closing time.  The merchants shout through bullhorns to encourage people to buy and let them know that they are slashing prices.  It is a cacophonous madhouse of nightly circus unlike anything you've ever experienced (and you can pick up cheap eats too!)

1. Lotte Department Store (attraction)

Gaya from Asiabar, Ardabil

aside from going to all the main attractions like Gwanghwamun, you should also check out Insadong, Myeong-dong and Itaewon.

1. Gwanghwamun (attraction)
  2. Insadong (neighborhood)
  3. Myeong-dong (attraction)
  4. Itaewon (attraction)

HK from Seoul

1. Visit N Seoul Tower (formerly Namsan Tower)

2. Visit Gyeongbokgung

3. Visit Heunginjimun Shopping Town

4. Visit Gangnam station (Line Number 2)

5. Go to any of the free Han-River Riverside Parks

1. N Seoul Tower (attraction)
  2. Gyeongbokgung (attraction)
  3. Heunginjimun (attraction)
  4. Gangnam (attraction)

Michael from Chicago, Illinois

Top 5 Places to Visit or Foods to Eat (not in any particular order):

1. Heunginjimun market (past midnight on a weekday except Mondays)

2. Namdaemun Market (during the day), make sure to try the galchi jorim (hairtail fish braised in spicy sauce) 

3. Hongik University Area (Friday or Saturday night), make sure to get some street food 

4. Eat Dak Galbi anywhere in Seoul

5. Learn how to drink soju the Korean way at any "hof" (watering hole/bar)

1. Heunginjimun (attraction)
  2. Namdaemun (attraction)
  3. Hongik University (attraction)

Here's the funny thing about South Korea - a lot of the signs are written in Hangul script. So I couldn't ever say the names of most of the places I went. But I will tell you that you need to find a good jim jil bang (Korean spa). Try to find a quieter one that's adults only ... my favorite was in Busan, and it's called Spa World.

As for food, I ate my way through the Insadong area. I'd walk down one of the alleys leading away from the main script and just walk into anyplace that wasn't as smoky as the rest.

I'd also tell you to find a place to hike. South Korea loves its hiking.

Christina

My 5 picks are: 

1. Gyeongbokgung: It's a definitely must visit if you're a first timer and want to feel Korea's true tradition. (& Bukchon  Hanok Village which is a traditional village located in the northern part of the palace) 

2. N Seoul Tower: Probably the best observatory to see the views.

3. Hongdae: If you're looking for a vibrant busy area for restaurants, bars and clubs. 

4. Myeong-dong for shopping. They have brand stores, department stores and local mom and pop shops.

5. Garosugil if you want to see what modern Korean looks like. Nothing fancy but a lot of youngsters visit. 

Or you can look at this list for first timers in Seoul! :)

http://www.trazy.com/theme/master_seoul

1. Gyeongbokgung (attraction)
  2. N Seoul Tower (attraction)
  3. Hongdae (neighborhood)
  4. Myeong-dong (attraction)

Antica from Zagreb

I suggest you take hop on hop off tour the fist day you arrive and then you will see the city that is huge. Stop at the places mentioned in previous answers. Don't miss Insadongand  Myeong-dong.There are many side-street restaurants but "food streets" are all around the city. Get a good map and it's all shown there.

I suggest you visit the Fish Market on Line 1 metro. It's so interesting to see and you can also eat there.

1. Insadong (neighborhood)
  2. Myeong-dong (attraction)

Lisa from Stuttgart

Hi, when will you be arriving in Seoul and for how many days?  It's a huge city of 24+ million but has one of the very best transportation systems in the world.  I recommend using public transport; go to the train station and pick up a T-Money card from a vendor machine.  This will allow you to get around all over the city in a flash and can be used in local convenience stores to pay for small purchases.  Okay, so here are a few suggestions for things to do:  1) Changdeokgung Palace and Huwon, 2) N Seoul Tower, 3) 남산골한옥마을 (Namsangol Hanok Village) then Insadong for a meal in a Korean restaurant.  The side alleys have the best food and it's a good place for shopping for souvieners;  4) Visit Bongeunsa in Gangnam-gu for a rich contrast of old city vs. modern.  You can take part in a traditional Korean tea ceremony as well.  Takes about 20-30 minutes and a small monetary donation; 5) Take a Han River cruise at night for an amazing light show. 

Also, download the Korea Subway app and this will making getting around much easier. 

There are so many amazing things to do in Seoul.  Have a great time!!

1. Changdeokgung Palace and Huwon (attraction)
  2. N Seoul Tower (attraction)
  3. Insadong (neighborhood)
  4. Bongeunsa (attraction)
  5. Gangnam-gu (neighborhood)
  6. 남산골한옥마을 (Namsangol Hanok Village) (attraction)