Justin
South Lake Tahoe

Seattle

Seattle like a local

I'm heading to Seattle next month and I'm looking for some non-touristy things to do. I've done Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and an underground tour, so this time I just want to enjoy it like a local would. Any suggestions for places or things to do that I might not come across unless I lived there? I'm a pretty active guy so if the weather is good, I'm up for anything.

Valerie from Seattle

Good choice visiting Seattle, Justin... it is awesome here!

Here are my picks:

1. If the weather is good, go hang out at Gas Works Park. On sunny days, it has a great view of the city, and is a cool place to relax with friends.

2. For sure check out Capitol Hill Neighborhood, in particular some of my favorite places like UnicornNacho Borracho or The Saint. There are tons of cool places though, you can really just pick whichever one you pass that seems cool.

3. If you're feeling slightly touristy, the better view of Seattle is Columbia Center. I hear you can get an overpriced cocktail and see a great view (kind of like the John Hancock building in Chicago).

4. Try Golden Gardens for another great view, this time of the Olympic mountains, which makes it a real highlight at sunset.

5. Seattle loves our whiskey, so if you're into it, you might try doing a tour at somewhere like Westland Distillery, 2bar Spirits or Copperworks Tasting Room & Distillery. Any one of them has a really cool staff and you can learn about the craft.

6. If the timing works out, you should totally check out a Sounders game at CenturyLink Field, or a Mariners game at Safeco Center. The former is the better option, but both are great. At Safeco, sit along the first base line for a cool view of the city.

Have a great trip!

1. Gas Works Park (attraction)
  2. Capitol Hill Neighborhood (neighborhood)
  3. Unicorn (attraction)
  4. Nacho Borracho (restaurant)
  5. The Saint (attraction)
  6. Columbia Center (attraction)
  7. Golden Gardens (attraction)
  8. Westland Distillery (attraction)
  9. 2bar Spirits (attraction)
  10. Copperworks Tasting Room & Distillery (attraction)
  11. CenturyLink Field (attraction)
  12. Safeco Center (attraction)

dana

Do your own microbrewery tour in Ballard Neighborhood– there are so many tiny breweries that have a couple tables, many with outdoor seating! Hilliard's Brewery and Peddler Brewing Company are my favorites, but other options include Stoup BrewingNW Peaks Brewery, and Reuben's Brews

Rent a kayak from Agua Verde Cafe and paddle around Lake Union and Lake Washington. Make sure to get some tacos from Agua Verde Cafe afterwards! 

Take the water taxi ($3) from downtown to Marination Ma Kai and get lunch here, then walk along the waterfront to Alki Point. I think Alki feels like San Diego, and there are amazing views across the Puget Sound to the Olympic Mountains

If you're looking for good nightlife, head to Capitol Hill Neighborhood – there are plenty of good bars around the intersection of 11th & E Pike, but be prepared for crowds! Lines tend to be long on weekend nights between 10:30pm – 12:30am. 

1. Ballard Neighborhood (neighborhood)
  2. Hilliard's Brewery (attraction)
  3. Peddler Brewing Company (attraction)
  4. Stoup Brewing (attraction)
  5. NW Peaks Brewery (attraction)
  6. Reuben's Brews (attraction)
  7. Agua Verde Cafe (restaurant)
  8. Lake Union (attraction)
  9. Lake Washington (attraction)
  10. Marination Ma Kai (restaurant)
  11. Alki Point (attraction)
  12. Puget Sound (attraction)
  13. Olympic Mountains (attraction)
  14. Capitol Hill Neighborhood (neighborhood)

S from Roswell (Georgia)

Take a ferry to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. You can rent mopeds if you want to see more of the island. There is an English Camp & a British Camp you can go to & Roche Harbor on the other side of the island is beautiful. We've seen whales from the lime kiln lighthouse.  

If you have a car drive over to the Olympic Peninsula. Hurricane Ridge is a great hike & beautiful views. You can see Canada from there. There are also waterfalls & a rainforest over there.  

You can take a boat to Victoria, BC if you have your passport. Lots to see there.  

Nice hikes around Mount Rainier too! 

1. Friday Harbor (city)
  2. San Juan Island (island)
  3. Hurricane Ridge (region)
  4. Victoria (city)
  5. Mount Rainier (attraction)
  6. Roche Harbor (attraction)

Peter from Munich

If you are in Seattle you should try the Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour. It's up in Everett and it gives you amazing insights about how an airplane is build. I am coming back here over and over again. You also could try to go to Snoqualmie Falls. Amazing waterfall and nice trails to hike.

If you look for a good park you should go to Discovery Park. A nice park with lots of trail and a lighthouse. Dining wise I can recommend Blue Moon Burgers - they have great hamburgers and you can custom build your favorite.

1. Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour (attraction)
  2. Snoqualmie Falls (attraction)
  3. Discovery Park (attraction)
  4. Blue Moon Burgers (restaurant)