Susan
Manhattan Beach

Seattle

Pike's Place Market - light lunch place?

I'm planning my trip to Seattle with my husband and on the first day there, I want to stop at Pike's Place market and grab a late, light lunch @ 4:30 because we have dinner reservations at Lark @ 8pm.

Is there any place in Pike's place that is a must stop? A great sandwich place? interesting light cuisine joint? etc!

Liz from Denver

Hopefully you're coming in on a weekday.  The weekends are packed, but tolerable & the weekdays far less so, however, both are enjoyable.

Hands down Beecher's Handmade Cheese.  I make a point to go there whenever I'm in town & order their frozen mac & cheese online when at home in Denver.  Even if you don't go in, you can stroll passed the large viewing window & watch the curds & whey churn; you'll regret not popping in very quickly for a sample!  [Side note: Sea-Tac now has a Beecher's. It's not as good sandwich nor mac & cheese-wise (albeit excellent for airport food!), but it's great for grabbing some seasoned cheese curds & a quick gift for you or the fromage lover in your life before catching your flight home. Also, there's a chair massage place next door; overpriced, but if you need it, it's worth it.]

If you love croque monsieurs as I do (clearly I love cheese), do not miss Cafe Campagne.  It is easily the best you'll have outside of France (& in rare case, better than some in France).  The atmosphere is great & so convincing, you'll very nearly bonjour & s'il vous plait the waitstaff.  

Piroshky Piroshky is also delicious.  More of a bakery, but has some items that can easily pass for lunch or at least something to nibble on walking around the market. 

While you're there... don't miss the $5-15 bouquets inside the market.  It's worth buying a vase or seeing if the hotel has one & bringing some flowers back to your room.  I used to buy them for my mom every time I caught the ferry back to my parents' house on Bainbridge Island (also worth going to if you have time). They are truly magnificent bouquets. 

1. Beecher's Handmade Cheese (attraction)
  2. Cafe Campagne (restaurant)
  3. Piroshky Piroshky (restaurant)

Cameron from Salt Lake City

I typically avoid Pike's Place market for anything other than watching mongers throw fish. That being said, if it is your first trip to Seattle, you have to do the market, but may want to wander a little bit away from there for lunch... Ivar's Acres of Clams down at the waterfront for some famous clam chowder is always fun. If it is nice and sunny and you must stay by the market, the Hard Rock Cafe has an amazing rooftop patio - truly a hidden gem, although I know I just lost credibility points for food. However, I'll try to reclaim those points by saying to go downtown to Purple Cafe and Wine Bar. It is amazing and I'll venture to say you'll want to come back for dinner. Lola or Serious Pie are also two gems that shouldn't be missed either (although, I recommend Lola for brunch before going to the market)

1. Ivar's Acres of Clams (restaurant)
  2. Hard Rock Cafe (restaurant)
  3. Purple Cafe and Wine Bar (restaurant)
  4. Lola (restaurant)
  5. Serious Pie (restaurant)

Annemarie from New York City

I actually like Pike Place, though it is crammed with tourists at any hour of the day. That being said, Beecher's Handmade Cheese is just outside of the market and makes the best mac and cheese anywhere. At  Lowell's Restaurant you can grab some greasy spoon-type diner food and enjoy gorgeous views, provided Seattle is clear that day. I previously wrote about my intense love for Lowell's on my blog, if you need extra nudging. There's also a cute, if not teeny, Germany place called  Uli's Famous Sausage that serves great cold bottles of beer and your choice of wurst. Right down the block, there's also a coffee shop called  Cherry Street Coffee House that serves vegan and gluten-free coffee and sandwiches, and they'll let you sit and open your laptop at their teeny tables for as long as you want. 

2. Lowell's Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Uli's Famous Sausage (restaurant)
  4. Cherry Street Coffee House (restaurant)

Tony from Seattle

Matt's in The Market is outstanding for lunch and has a view of the famous sign.  Reservation required-- if you know well in advance, mention that it's a special occasion and ask for a window seat.

Cafe Campagne - someone already mentioned this, but I'll second it.  Great french food.  If it's early enough, get the brunch menu!

1. Cafe Campagne (restaurant)
  2. Matt's in The Market (restaurant)

Kenin from Florida

I enjoy Pike's quite a bit, but trypically we don't stop for lunch in one place at all. There are so many stalls that sell ready to eat items my wife and I usually snack on  a few different things along the way (like the smoked salmon or dim sum) and then stop at one of the bakeries for coffee and a sweet! Totally replaces the need for lunch gives you an oppotrunity to try a bunch of things. Alternatively, you could pick up a few things from your favorite stalls like some chese from  Mount Townsend Creamery and some bread from  Le Panier - Very French Bakery, a bottle of wine from  Pike & Western Wine Shop and a couple meats and fruits from the assorted delis and stalls and have yourself a nice picnic. 

1. Pike & Western Wine Shop (attraction)
  2. Mount Townsend Creamery (attraction)
  3. Le Panier - Very French Bakery (restaurant)

samayou from Bay Area

Beecher's Handmade Cheese is always a stop when I return to Seattle for work.  The basic grilled cheese with their flagship cheese is the best.  Hot of the grill, it's filling enough to hold you too and enough to share.  Also, the basic mac-n-cheese is quite filling, but may be too heavy, but this too is a winner!

(Note: Beechers is located on Pike Place, the marker location is incorrect.)

Walking south on the street, there's Mee Sum Pastry  The curry humbao are light and delicious; and if you get them hot, the pot-stickers aren't too bad.

Most of the tourist do go to Le Panier - Very French Bakery or Piroshky Piroshky... I think they were always over-rated, but that's me.  I've tried them, they were OK... and I've moved on.  

Also, walking north on the pike, don't forget to stop and take a picture in front of Original Starbucks

finally, if you really want to go all out, be sure to stop in at the top of the Pike Place Market and get your crumpet on... The Crumpet Shop (http://www.thecrumpetshop.com/)

2. Mee Sum Pastry (restaurant)
  4. Piroshky Piroshky (restaurant)
  5. Original Starbucks (restaurant)
  6. The Crumpet Shop (restaurant)

Debra from Portland

DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine Pike Place Market, Seattle, WA

De Laurenti's 1435 1st Ave., Seattle, WA 98101

De Laurenti's

1. DeLaurenti Specialty Food & Wine (restaurant)

Arden from Seattle

Piroshky Piroshky: This place is very famous and has delicious stuff.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/piroshky-piroshky-seattle

1. Piroshky Piroshky (restaurant)

Rebecca from Southern California

Place Pigalle in Pike Place Market has a wonderful view and delicious food.

1. Pike Place Market (attraction)
  2. Place Pigalle (restaurant)