Julia
Boston

Seattle, Washington

Hikes for a non-hiker in Seattle

I’ll be in Seattle in the spring for a photography retreat and would love some ideas about where to hike in the area. Nothing too strenuous as I’m not a big hiker (frankly I’d much rather sit on the couch and eat chocolate, but I just lost a lot of weight and want to keep it off), but I would love some places with great views since my big reward for hiking is taking pictures (that and burning calories!). I think I read that there are a couple of places around with waterfalls—would love to know about those, too. The surrounding area is good, too since I’ll have a car.

Curtis from Seattle

I'm from the Seattle area & an avid hiker. For views one of the more spectacular views is from Rattlesnake Ledge. It's out near North Bend. The trail is steady but not too long or too steep...& the payoff is well worth it! As for waterfalls my vote is for Bridal Veil Falls. The hike is about the same distance & difficulty as Rattlesnake so it's well within the range of any beginner. Your reward is meeting up with gorgeous waterfall about halfway up the mountain, much nicer than Franklin Falls :)

1. Rattlesnake Ledge (attraction)
  2. Bridal Veil Falls (attraction)

JR from Manhattan Beach

I was recently in Seattle with my wife and we decided to spend one night at  Snoqualmie Falls. We asked people for a nearby hike (nothing strenuous to too long) and everyone seemed to recommend the same place...  Franklin Falls. We drove up there and did it, but I was a real let down. The waterfall was literally UNDER the highway :(  Unfortunately we didn't have Trippy to help us, because you can see on the map exactly where this falls is. Not really what we were looking for. So unless you're looking for a beautiful waterfall with the background noise of speeding cars, I'd pass on this one. Good luck!

1. Franklin Falls (attraction)
  2. Snoqualmie Falls (attraction)

Brenna from Tempe

Congrats on losing the weight! I can't think of any real hikes I know some places to go on good walks and take pictures - there's always Gas Works Park that's fun to wander around or Ballard Locks which has some beautiful gardens... sorry no real waterfalls though :/

1. Gas Works Park (attraction)
  2. Ballard Locks (attraction)

Noelle

I'd love to reiterate Discovery Park for some simple walks/hikes that feel like hikes and beautiful views. I know there's a great loop that's about 3 miles.

Seattle is also famous for its stairs. There are a few online resources that help to navigate your different options. Here is an example

West Seattle's  Lincoln Park is another wonderful urban park filled with trails. 

Other urban trails that offer wonderful city and water views include the loop around  Lake Union and the Elliott Bay Trail.

1. Discovery Park (attraction)
  2. Lincoln Park (attraction)
  3. Lake Union (attraction)
  4. Elliott Bay Trail (attraction)

Briana from Seattle

I'd also check out Discovery Park. Easy hike, beautiful scenery.

1. Discovery Park (attraction)

Peter from Munich

Hi there, i also can recommend  Snoqualmie Falls and if you are into photography a lot, it's maybe worth to visit the  Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour in  Everett.

It depends what day you go there, you can see the new airplanes doing test flights. But thats if you are into plane spotting.

Pictures of Snoqualmie Falls Area

Pictures of Boeing Field

1. Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour (attraction)
  2. Everett (city)
  3. Snoqualmie Falls (attraction)