There are so many awesome outdoor experiences in SF! Here are a few faves:
- Lands End : Both the Coastal Trail and Eagle Point Labyrinth are beautiful. It's pretty short and mild, and best at sunset. This is easily accessible by Muni, the city's public transport system. The bus you take will vary by point of origin.
- Sea Trek Ocean Kayaking Center : Take the ferry to Sausalito from Ferry Building and a short walk will bring you to SeaTrek. Here, you can standup paddle board or Kayak on the bay.
- Twin Peaks : Hiking up is definitely a workout, and not for the faint at heart! The view at the top spans from bridge to bridge and is insanely beautiful.
- Bike the Bridge: A great way to get to Sausalito, the Marin Headlands or around the city. Pick up a bike at Blazing Saddles Electric Bikes & Rentals .
If you're up for renting a car (I suggest using Zipcar or Getaround), the following are also within an hour's drive:
- Alamere Falls : 8 miles roundtrip with a gorgeous view/private beach in the middle. Highly recommend!
- Marin Headlands : So much to see and do here - bike, hike, etc.
- Tennessee Valley : Another awesome place to run/hike/walk. Trails offer varying degrees of difficulty.
I shared a few more day trips (all outside) on my blog here, so take a peek if you find that you have more time/easy transport.
Enjoy San Francisco!