Valerie

Scottsdale

What's the best neighborhood in Scottsdale for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Scottsdale and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Scottsdale is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

John from Norcross, Georgia

I would suggest the W Scottsdale Hotel in Old Town Scottsdale, walking distance to all restaurants, shopping, and nightlife.  The Scottsdale Marriott Suites Old Town on 3rd Street is also nice and extremely conveniently located.

1. W Scottsdale Hotel (hotel)
  2. Scottsdale Marriott Suites Old Town (restaurant)

It's really hard to say what Scottsdale is like because there's a huge divide between its southern portion and it's central/north section. South Scottsdale is much more working class, but also more fun (my favorite restaurants are in South Scottsdale). The northern parts of the city become all about gated communities, generic chain restaurants and the same ol' stuff you'll see just about anywhere. But there are also some cool outdoor areas in the far north.

For hotels, I'd go for the Hotel Valley Ho.

1. Hotel Valley Ho (hotel)

Andrew from Scottsdale

It depends what you're looking for, if it's bars and nightlife W Scottsdale Hotel is your place.  Steps away from the amazing nightlife in Old Town Scottsdale and the pool during the daytime is fun as well (especially on weekends).  

A more economical option is the Hotel Indigo Scottsdale Old Town which is right around the corner.  Then a Best Western Plus Sundial across the street (Camelback) is decent too.

Lucy

Hi Katie,

I would recommend staying in what we call Old Town Scottsdale.

To pinpoint a location, center around Scottsdale fashion mall, there are a lot of great hotels in the area, depending of course on your pricepoint.

There are a lot of resorts thru town also, I would call and see if any have shuttles around town

Scottsdale road between camelback and indian school is where a lot of the tourist frequent.

Have a great time visiting here

Matt

1. Old Town Scottsdale (attraction)

Kimberly from Scottsdale

I immediately thought of valley ho hotel. This swanky non chain Hotel has an interesting history. The owners bought the property and brought it back to the 1956 era style mixed with Contemporary.  It's a hot spot for its location and the restaurant is one of the best in town. 

Have fun in old Town and feel free to drop me a line if you have more questions.

1. valley ho hotel (hotel)

Sara from Phoenix

Too bad I don't live there anymore, Valerie. I would have loved to meet and show you around. Not sure if you already visited or not. If so, I hope you enjoyed it.

I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town.  Its affordable and very comfortable, while only 1 block off the main Old Town square area.  Perfect for walking to and from the many restaurants in the area.

1. Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town (hotel)