Jason
Salt Lake City

Scotland

Day trip to Hardian's Wall from Glasgow/Edinburgh

Hi all! I'm planning a trip to Scotland in September and I'd like to take an afternoon and walk a mile or so of Hadrian's Wall. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good section of the wall, or perhaps a town with a visitor's center or museum pertaining to the wall? I've been exploring Carlisle a little bit, but it doesn't look like it has quite what I'm looking for...

Alex from London

Hi Jason,

I think your best bet is to take a train to Newcastle and then head to a more central portion of the wall via regional rail service.  The trouble with Hadrian's Wall is that there isn't much of it left in larger urban centres so the start and end points, in Newcastle and Carlisle, aren't great if you want to experience the actual monument.  

I walked a stunning portion (4-6hours) of it last April, while based near Hexham.  May be best to explore over a weekend so you can factor in travelling time from Scotland.

If you would like more details and some pictures, check out the detailed account on my blog: http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/86410694135/hadrians-wall

Also, take note that you will save much time if you drive as public transport along the wall is quite sporadic and slow.

Enjoy exploring!