Carlos
Valladolid

Scotland, Glasgow, Edinburgh

Where to visit in Scotland?

I would like to visit Glasgow and Edinburg, and other places like St. Andrews, Dundee, Aberdeen...But in fact, more than the cities, I would like to visit some natural places, beautiful as only in Scotland I will find. Any advice?

Jackie from Germany

All of Scotland is really beautiful, but I am partial to the lush green landscapes of the  Glencoe area up to the Glenfinnan Viaduct / Harry Potter's Bridge. The mountains are wild and beautiful and there's wonderful hiking paths along the lochs. If you have a car and time you can head into the Highlands, truly stunning (and often uninhabitated) country.  Or you can go more inland to the central  Cairngorm National Park, where there's tiny villages and more outdoorsy  organized sports. Or you can head more East to the Speyside area for the Whiskey Trails, where you can sample from the famous distilleries. 

1. Glencoe (city)
  2. Glenfinnan Viaduct / Harry Potter's Bridge (attraction)
  3. Highlands (attraction)
  4. Cairngorm National Park (attraction)

Grace from London

You've mentioned you're interested in Glasgow on the west coast of Scotland and Edinburgh on the east coast so it sounds like you're happy to travel to any part of Scotland, which is great.

I'd recommend visiting Loch Lomond, a short trip from Glasgow. With amazing watersports and breathtaking scenery, you can enjoy the wilds of Scotland and still stay in a five-star hotel if you want.

Nearby, there's  Puck's Glen, which is like something from a fairy tale with rocky, mossy walls and little wooden bridges and walkways.

If you like wildlife, you can go to  David Marshal Lodge in  Aberfoyle to spy osprey and buzzards.

You've picked a great time to go to Scotland to see a bit of nature as 2013 is the 'year of natural Scotland' and the country are investing in making their amazing sites accessible to tourists.

1. Loch Lomond (city)
  2. Glasgow (city)
  3. Puck's Glen (attraction)
  4. David Marshal Lodge (attraction)

Daniel from Watford

My wife and I did the most amazing driving holiday all the way around Scotland earlier this year. I honestly couldn't pick one favourite place and there was so much to see just looking out the window while driving. If you can hire a car, it is definitely the best way to see as much as possible. 

Edinburgh is great, especially Edinburgh Castle, but don't allocate too many days there as there is a lot of land to cover and much more to see. St Andrews is a beautiful town and if you're into golf at all, stay at one of the hotels on the 18th of the Old Course with views out over the ocean as well. All the way up through Aberdeenshire is really nice and there are some gorgeous coastal towns up further (Portsoy was a favourite of ours). A highlight was while we were staying in Inverness and drove all the way up through the highlands. The scenery is jaw-dropping, with towering mountains all the way, and we stumbled across the most incredible sandy beach at one point which was totally unexpected! All around Fort William is beautiful, as is Loch Lomond. There are so many old castles and abbeys to stop in and look at along the way, and if you can time it to go when there has been some recent snow, it makes the scenery even more spectacular.

Also, I highly recommend staying in bed and breakfasts rather than hotels. The Scottish people are so friendly and you can find out a lot about local life and traditions by staying in smaller places and chatting with the owners. Enjoy!

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. St Andrews (city)
  3. Edinburgh Castle (attraction)
  4. Portsoy (city)
  5. Inverness (attraction)
  6. Fort William (city)
  7. Loch Lomond (city)

Kirsty from Glasgow

Try taking the train from Glasgow to Ardrossan and the ferry to the Isle of Isle of Arran It's super quick to get to! There's loads of fun things to visit like a brewery, distillery and also a famous cheese shop! The views are excellent too. 

1. Glasgow (city)
  2. Ardrossan (city)
  3. Isle of Arran (city)

Neil from Altrincham

Personally, I'd avoid the main tourist locations - they can get very busy, and are generally only the main locations because they're easy to get to. Make a bit more effort than most and you'll see far more and much better spots. Spend an hour walking up  Ben A'an (map) and you'll see the most amazing views over Loch Katrine and Loch Achray

Put in the long drive to the Isle of Skye, and once you're past Glencoe, you'll love every minute. 

1. Ben A'an (attraction)
  2. Isle of Skye (island)
  3. Glencoe (city)
  4. Loch Katrine (attraction)
  5. Loch Achray (attraction)

Ondrej from Denmark

Hey,

I would recommend  Island of Skye as it is mostly highlands, infinite roads, sheep and mountains. Don´t know much about the other places, I was living near Edinburgh for a year but I could not travel much. But definitely for true highlands, go check Isle of Skye :)

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. Island of Skye (attraction)

Carlos from Valladolid

Thank you very much girls! Your answers are great, I'm glad I found this website : ))

Elizabeth from Ottawa

Glasgow has some amazing sites, but the best is  Glasgow Necropolis Wandering through it is an awesome experience. Also the  Glasgow Cathedral so full of history.  And around the corner s St Mungo Museum of Religious Life & Art.  Once you have had your fill of that end of town, head over to the  The Tenement House and see what it was like to live in the tenements.  

1. Glasgow Necropolis (attraction)
  2. Glasgow Cathedral (attraction)
  3. St Mungo Museum of Religious Life & Art (attraction)
  4. The Tenement House (attraction)