Matt
Kent (Washington)

Scotland, Inverness, Elgin (Scotland), Aberdeen

What is a good base location for day hikes in northwest Scotland?

I'm researching a trip to Scotland and looking for a base location where I could spend a week and do 3-4 good day hikes (less than 15 miles, no climbing, minimal scrambling, not too much elevation gain), without needing a car.  Mid June.

bren

Have you looked at the W Highland Way? It's a ninety mile walk from north of Glasgow to Fort William. You could do as much of it as you want rather than the whole thing - use the train to start or finish the walk wherever you fancy. There are companies who will book accommodation for you and transport your luggage. You could combine that with a week in Glasgow. It's a great city with lots of history, lots to see and do.

1. W Highland Way (attraction)
  2. Glasgow (city)
  3. Fort William (city)

Colin from Scotland

It's possible to get trains from both Edinburgh and Glasgowthat go north up the west coast of Scotland which would be perfect for you as there's a railway line between these cities and a train runs once a day.

Look into "Glasgow Queen Street" to "Fort William" or even Edinburgh to Fort William. Check it out on scotrail.co.uk
There are many stops on that route that are suitable for some day hikes. It should also be easy to find accommodation near some of these stops: 

Ardlui

Crianlarich

Upper Tyndrum

Bridge of Orchy

Rannoch

Corrour

Tulloch

Roybridge

Spean Bridge

There are a few lodges (TeePee style or "Glamping") sites around that part of the country and if you can't get any luck with that there are usually always normal campsites.

Have a great trip! :D

1. Glasgow (city)
  2. Fort William (city)
  3. Ardlui (city)
  4. Crianlarich (city)
  5. Upper Tyndrum (attraction)
  6. Bridge of Orchy (city)
  7. Rannoch (attraction)
  8. Corrour (attraction)
  9. Roybridge (city)
  10. Spean Bridge (city)

Marie-Eve from Montreal

I went to Isle of Skye a good ten years ago, so my memory is not that good, but I remember very well staying in Portree and being able to hike in the nearby mountains (easily reachable by bus or taxi). One of them was one of the most rewarding super easy walks (almost no elevation) I've ever done. It was south of Portree, but that's all I can remember.

1. Portree (city)

Check into staying in Fort William.  The city itself has a lot of options to stay in various price ranges, offers a nice variety of places to eat when done hiking for the evening and plenty of outdoor activities during the day.

1. Fort William (city)