Craig

Scotland

What are the best Scottish castles to visit in Scotland?

Howdy all y'all,

My wife and I are contemplating a trip to Scotland in the Fall.  Our primary goal will be seeing castles.  I'd love some recommendations.  Just as a point of reference more interested in say...history, ruins, and ghosts then Royals.

Jared from Sydney

Hi Craig, 

Scotland is amazing, hope you have a great time! 

Check out my post on the medieval castles of Scotland - if you're intending to visit a number of sites I suggest getting the Historic Scotland Explorer Pass - it'll save you a bunch in the long run!

Happy travels!

1. Scotland (attraction)

Lauren from Chicago

Hi Craig,

Scotland is an absolutely beautiful country, I strongly encourage a visit! There are loads of amazing castles in Scotland-my husband and I only made it to a few and we're itching for the day we can return to see more.

Edinburgh Castle is a great castle to visit and there is plenty to do in the busy city of Edinburgh as well. The castle is very well maintained and there is a lot to see; it can get very busy so I recommend arriving as close to opening time as possible to beat the crowds. The castle is located on top of one of the highest hills in the city so views from the castle are well worth the walk up.

The Isle of Arran is my absolute favorite place in Scotland and Brodick Castle, Garden and Country Park has a beautiful, furnished castle and gorgeous gardens.

All that remains of Urquhart Castle are ruins, but with its location in the Highlands along Loch Ness it is still a beautiful castle to see with wonderful views.

The reconstructed Eilean Donan Castle is the most recognized castle in Scotland in the western Highlands and in a beautiful location looking out to the Isle of Skye

What is left of St Andrews Castle is also ruins, but the views from atop the cliffs are stunning, and you can catch a peak at the Old Course, St Andrews Links while you're there.

1. Edinburgh Castle (attraction)
  2. Isle of Arran (city)
  3. Brodick Castle, Garden and Country Park (attraction)
  4. Urquhart Castle (attraction)
  5. Loch Ness (attraction)
  6. Eilean Donan Castle (attraction)
  7. Isle of Skye (island)
  8. St Andrews Castle (attraction)
  9. Old Course, St Andrews Links (attraction)