Luc

Luc from London asked

Unmissables of Scotland

Hi guys, I'm planning a trip in Scotland for next spring. Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, the highlands are of course part of the trip. But as you know, some famous places may be a bit deceiving once you get there, and other less famous places can become the highlight of your hole trip.

What were the best places you've visited in Scotland?

Scotland   Edinburgh   Isle of Skye

Valerie from Seattle

Luc, I miss Scotland so much! I spent a weekend there, but I really fell in love with the country, and Edinburgh, naturally.

I haven't been to the Isle of Skye, but for the other two:

Edinburgh:

• Do dinner at the dogs. This place was truly amazing, and they have lots of modern takes on traditional Scottish meals. I had rabbit stew that freaked everybody else at the table out (I was eating with a bunch of guys... wimps!), but was absolutely delicious.
  • Pop into The Jolly Judge. It's done one of the closes (alleyways), but it's my favorite of all the pubs we visited. It's very cozy and almost claustrophobic, but filled with locals who are friendly and welcoming.
  • I also really liked The Fiddlers Arms on Grassmarket (which is fighting with me and won't tag). I had my first Scottish breakfast there, haggis included, along with a pint. Before 10am. Kind of must do.
  • It's a bit cheesy, but the ghost tours are really fascinating, or try touring The Real Mary King's Close. That's a bit more touristy, but will give you a great sense of history.
  • Similarly, Edinburgh Castle is kind of a must-do. I loved exploring--it's mostly a self-guided tour, so you can go into the places you're interested, and skip the parts of the castle you don't care about.
  • I think, unless you really love scotch, you could probably skip the The Scotch Whisky Experience. While I love the idea of supporting the business, any bartender worth his or her weight can give you a few lessons for the cost of the drink.

Outside Edinburgh:

• I went up with friends through Glasgow to Loch Lomond. There's a visitor centre near Loch Lomond Shores where you can learn about how the lochs and lower Highlands are formed geographically, as well as a few easy hikes.

• We then carried up around the Loch, ending at The Drovers Inn. 100% this is a MUST STOP LOCATION if you are driving through this part of the Highlands. The Loch Lomond burger is to die for, and I'd even recommend staying the night. Apparently the old inn is haunted. Either way, it's a heck of a way to introduce yourself to the Highlands.

Hope this helps you plan your trip! Let us know how it goes!!

Luc
Thanks a lot Valerie ! I will definitely try those you mentioned in Edinburgh and check Loch Lomond :)

1. the dogs (restaurant)
  2. The Jolly Judge (restaurant)
  3. The Fiddlers Arms (attraction)
  4. The Real Mary King's Close (attraction)
  5. Edinburgh Castle (attraction)
  6. The Scotch Whisky Experience (attraction)
  7. Loch Lomond (city)
  8. Loch Lomond Shores (attraction)
  9. The Drovers Inn (restaurant)
Susanne from Scotland

Hi Luc,

It really depends on your interests as Scotland has so much to offer.  I would suggest visiting Glasgow Cityas it is only an hour away from Edinburgh on the train and a very different city with great music, shops, food, museums and culture.  It feels much less touristy than Edinburgh.

I would also highly recommend a boat trip on the Firth of Forthto view the Forth Bridges.  You can get the bus from Edinburgh direct to the boat with Maid Of The Forthboat tours.

I have lots more info on my Scottish travel blog if you need other ideas.  Have a great trip!

www.AdventuresAroundScotland.com

So cool to hear this from someone who knows Scotland so well!

Luc
Thanks a lot for these tips Susanne! Your blog is amazing!

1. Glasgow City (attraction)
  2. Firth of Forth (attraction)
  3. Maid Of The Forth (attraction)
Dabs from Chicago

I went to Edinburgh this summer during the Fringe Festival and Military Tattoo, those are only in August so if you are planning on spring, those are not an option but I thought it was a great, albeit expensive, time to visit.  Other than that, my personal favorites were Stirling Castle, I could have spent most of the day there and then stop at Linlithgow Palace on the way back, you can use the same train ticket as long as you are heading in the same direction.

I did one daytrip with Rabbies, it stopped at Doune Castle, most famous for it's role as the French taunter castle in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and now featured in the "Outlander" series although I understand that the US is getting that before the UK.  It continued on to Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle which was the highlight of the day for me, Inveraray, and Loch Lomond.  If daytripping from Edinburgh, I was advised not to try the Loch Ness tour as it was too far.

I also made a stop at Craigmillar Castle, it's a short bus ride from Edinburgh and not as well known as some of the others.

Luc
Great! Thanks a lot Kristi!

1. Stirling Castle (attraction)
  2. Linlithgow Palace (attraction)
  3. Doune Castle (attraction)
  4. Loch Awe (attraction)
  5. Kilchurn Castle (attraction)
  6. Inveraray (city)
  7. Craigmillar Castle (attraction)
Marcy from Cincinnati

A stay at The Lovat Hotel (The Lovat Loch Ness) in Fort Augustus  is a must do! The staff are very warm and welcoming, the food is gourmet amazing, and the setting is quaint! A great way to see the canals in action and search for the Loch Ness Monster.  

I stayed there one summer with my 2 kids and they also loved it. I think it would be a very cozy place to stay in any season!

1. The Lovat Hotel (restaurant)
  2. Fort Augustus (city)
Jacqui from London

Hi Luc! 

We hired a car in Edinburgh and drove all around Scotland in 5 days in November 2013. It was fantastic! We drove to the beach and golf courses at St Andrews, to Stirling Castle, to Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle near Inverness in the north and went on a brilliant horse ride in Kenmore (Scotland). It was a beautiful time of the year as the whole countryside was red and gold! See what to do and where to go in Scotland (and prices) here: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/%EF%BB%BFgreat-scot/

Jacqui 

1. St Andrews (city)
  2. Stirling Castle (attraction)
  3. Loch Ness (attraction)
  4. Urquhart Castle (attraction)
  5. Inverness (attraction)
  6. Kenmore (Scotland) (city)
Heather from Edinburgh

The Isle of Skye  is wonderful. We found the best Bed and breakfast there. It is called Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel in Otterburn, have never felt so welcome.

Ionais also a wonderful Island.  You have to take the ferry from Obam to the Isle of Mull and then another ferry across to Iona.

1. Isle of Skye (island)
  2. Otterburn Castle Country House Hotel (restaurant)
  3. Otterburn (city)
  4. Iona (attraction)
  5. Isle of Mull (city)
  6. Iona (attraction)
Ruth from Utah

1. Stirling Castle (attraction)