Ryan
Malta

Scotland, Edinburgh, Glencoe

Suggested Scotland Itinerary?

I need help with a possible itinerary. I am planning a week in scotland (2nd aug to 9th aug) landing in edinburgh. My wife and young son (4 yrs old) will also travel. I would like to visit the highlights of scotland without cramming too much. Any suggestions please? Must see things and also where shall I stay as base.

My plan is as follows.

1. edinburgh

2. st andrews

3. pitlochry

4. inverness

5. portree 

6. malliag

7. glencoe

8. oban 

9. stirling

10. back to edinburgh stay 2 days and back to Malta.

Thank you.

Dabs from Chicago

I think you may find, especially with a 4 year old, that you will be spending a lot of time driving with the itinerary you have.  I found that Googlemaps or MapQuest were ambitious in their travel times, meaning that you could theoretically make it in that time if you don't stop and traffic conditions are perfect but neither of those is very likely,  I would probably cut out the drive up to Inverness, I didn't really find it to be worth the drive unless you were interested in seeing Culloden and I don't think that's really a place that would be interesting to a 4 year old.

August is festival season in Edinburgh, expect hotel prices to be high.  It's not too early to book hotels there, but you should try to find cancellable ones since it's so far in advance.

Hello Ryan!  That is a pretty ambitious week, but doable if you want to be in your car.  If you are treating it as a true road trip, it could be a lot of fun.  Obviously, having a four year old could complicate some travel.  I think Edinburgh, warrants at least two full days.  I love St Andrews as well.  The drive through the Cairngorms is absolutely beautiful.  I honestly would just drive through Inverness, or use it as a place to rest your head for the night.  The back part of your trip sounds fantastic. Jacey and I really loved the little town of Fort Augustus at the south end of Loch Ness.

For the week, I would probably hit the ground running and stay in St Andrews night one, somewhere in the Cairngorms, night two, Ft Augustus night three, Oban night four, stop in Stirling for lunch, and spend the rest of your time in Edinburgh.  I think you can stop at all the other places you mentioned for several hours/half a day and have a busy, but doable trip.  Have a great time.  It is a wonderful country with overwhelmingly nice people.

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. St Andrews (city)
  3. Cairngorms (attraction)
  4. Inverness (attraction)
  5. Fort Augustus (city)
  6. Oban (city)
  7. Stirling (city)

Matt from Kent (Washington)

So you're planning to see Edinburgh, St Andrews, Potlochry, Inverness, Portree, Mailaigh, ..... Oban, and Stirling in 7 day? Driving, with a 4 year old? 

Its been a long time since i did a car trip with a 4 year old, but that doesnt sound like much fun to me, unless all you want to see is roads and highways. I' eliminate at least three of those stops on your itinerary, and four would be even better, then you'll have mor time to xplore and enjoy your remaining stops. 

Skye is beautiful but I'd drop Portree, its too far off your main route.