Ryan
Malta

Ryan from Malta asked

Suggested Scotland Itinerary?

I need help with a possible itinerary. I am planning a week in scotland (2nd aug to 9th aug) landing in edinburgh. My wife and young son (4 yrs old) will also travel. I would like to visit the highlights of scotland without cramming too much. Any suggestions please? Must see things and also where shall I stay as base.

My plan is as follows.

1. edinburgh

2. st andrews

3. pitlochry

4. inverness

5. portree 

6. malliag

7. glencoe

8. oban 

9. stirling

10. back to edinburgh stay 2 days and back to Malta.

Thank you.

Scotland   Edinburgh   Glencoe

Dabs from Chicago

I think you may find, especially with a 4 year old, that you will be spending a lot of time driving with the itinerary you have.  I found that Googlemaps or MapQuest were ambitious in their travel times, meaning that you could theoretically make it in that time if you don't stop and traffic conditions are perfect but neither of those is very likely,  I would probably cut out the drive up to Inverness, I didn't really find it to be worth the drive unless you were interested in seeing Culloden and I don't think that's really a place that would be interesting to a 4 year old.

August is festival season in Edinburgh, expect hotel prices to be high.  It's not too early to book hotels there, but you should try to find cancellable ones since it's so far in advance.

Matt from Kent (Washington)

So you're planning to see Edinburgh, St Andrews, Potlochry, Inverness, Portree, Mailaigh, ..... Oban, and Stirling in 7 day? Driving, with a 4 year old? 

Its been a long time since i did a car trip with a 4 year old, but that doesnt sound like much fun to me, unless all you want to see is roads and highways. I' eliminate at least three of those stops on your itinerary, and four would be even better, then you'll have mor time to xplore and enjoy your remaining stops. 

Skye is beautiful but I'd drop Portree, its too far off your main route.